Fermentation Discussion to End All

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokieengr

Reaction score
Everyone,

We as homebrewers need to band together and contribute all our knowledge on fermentation for the bettering of our obsession. This thread is an attempt to get this ball rolling.

First, there are many theories out there on the best methods for fermenting a batch of beer. I think we can all agree that time will generally fix most problems, but my goal here is to try to nail down processes that elimate these issues on the first place. Commercial breweries can produce quality ales in 2-4 weeks. I think we need to understand how and why this is done.

To that end, let's research various commercial methods and see if they can be applied to our scale. Things like temperature profiles, pitching rates, use of finings, crash cooling, whirlpooling, and krausening are all in use. Several breweries like Dogfish have given interviews that are enlightening. I'm sure there are more out there.

Don't forget that it wasn't too long ago that we all thought the 1-2-3 method was the best way to go. Now we know better. Let's take the next step as a community.

It's all laid out in the book 'Yeast'.

Temperature, pitching rate, pH, oxygen are in the forefront.

If these things are addressed I think most beers are ready to bottle (or keg) in 2 weeks.

And commercial brewer's use expensive filters which would help most other issues.

I applaud your enthusiasm, but what you are asking for is done on this forum daily. Not to mention, your "question" is too broad. Many subjects in this hobby, including fermentation, have many "right" answers. Any attempt to nail down definitive information would only limit other information which is just as valid.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the point of this thread.

I like the idea of discussing commercial practices brought down to homebrew scale. As I'm learning, I like to purchase/upgrade thoughtfully, and grain-to-glass is always a consideration. Maybe the OP could clarify the point of the thread?

I think we can all agree that time will generally fix most problems

I adamantly disagree and think it's some of the worst advice that floats around the homebrew circles, so make that "all minus 1."

...but my goal here is to try to nail down processes that elimate these issues on the first place.

Good. That's what you should be doing. There shouldn't be any problems in the first place. If there are, maybe time will help them, but in my experience, it rarely does.

Latest posts

Back