Fermentation control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatman

Reaction score
I coverted a stand up freezer with a loves controller for a fermentation chamber. My first batch I may have goofed due to inaccurate temp control. As of right now I have the probe submerged in a quart of water hanging in the freezer. I have read that primary fermentation can rise the wort temp by 10 degrees. Therefore my wort can be 10 degrres warmer than my hanging water bottle. What is the best way to monitor the temp of my wort so my controller can maintain a steady fermentation? I use ale pails for my primary BTW.

Tape the probe to the side of the fermenter. I just use a couple strips of duct tape, but some use foam as insulation around the probe. This method comes really close to measuring the real temperature of the wort.

That makes sense. Thanks. Would that apply to a stainless steel cap probe? Also, lets say I brew this weekend and I insulate the probe on that pail, the the next weekend I do another batch. Would I just move it over to the new batch? Would the lower temps of the freezer trying to control the new batch of fermentation affect the batch thats been in there for a week?

Back