fermentation control, heating ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFeltimo

Reaction score
So I have built myself an stc-1000 system( photos to follow, very proud), this is to control my fridge- cooling, but what to use as a heat source is bothering me.
What's the general concensus here, what are you guys useing to heat up ya brew

Here are the pictures from my build.
10x10 junction box, with red and green lights to indicate what terminal is on at a glance.

1114130414.jpg

1114130414a.jpg

paint can with a 100 watt bulb works, I use a small electric heater in my chest freezer

all thebest

S_M

I use the DIY paint can fermenter heater. Here in TX, I find that a 40-60 watt bulb inside the can is plenty.

I have a coffee cup warmer on a Christmas light timer heating up my converted chest freezer. To paraphrase Rummy: you go to brew with the tools you have, not the tools you might want! On the plus side, it's very well-insulated in there, so only a little warmth is needed.

I have a coffee cup warmer on a Christmas light timer heating up my converted chest freezer. To paraphrase Rummy: you go to brew with the tools you have, not the tools you might want! On the plus side, it's very well-insulated in there, so only a little warmth is needed.
How well does your cup warmer work? I'm thinking that would be a good solution for me as well.

Good ideas here but, I've been wanting to ask for awhile. If you make a temp control for your fridge doesn't it take it down to your selected temp. and stop? Why do you need a heater??

Good ideas here but, I've been wanting to ask for awhile. If you make a temp control for your fridge doesn't it take it down to your selected temp. and stop? Why do you need a heater??

If the temp outside the box or freezer is lower than the temp inside without a heat source in the chamber you'll drop to low. Think winter in the north in an unheated garage. The heat generating reactions of you yeast aren't sufficient to overcome constant 10 degree weather outside.

How well does your cup warmer work? I'm thinking that would be a good solution for me as well.

It raises the temperature a good 20 degrees or so. Unfortunately, if the outside temps dip too low for too long it stays a tad too cold for ales. But when life hands you cold weather, you make lagers.

I just bought a fermwrap from more beer to use in my ferm fridge with my stc. Temp on my APA is holding steady at 67°. It was only $29.99

I've been keeping fermenters in a room with fairly consistent temps, but now that it's spring again, The temp changes are too much..... always put off building a chamber, but recently, just to try it,.. I've ran an old hairdryer on a temp controller, in a chest freezer on my porch..Worked great!!.The hair dryer, on the lowest setting, circulated the air in the freezer for an even temp all around.. almost ready to keg the first batch that was fermented in it! (and it's NH, so it's still a bit chilly, so the freezer is off):mug:

20140415_171445.jpg

Back