Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bru-ster76

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but I'm still zero brews in and a beginner, so my apologies if it should have gone in the fermentation forum. :)

My wife says she doesn't use our small chest-style deep freezer, when she saw me perusing craigslist for a beer fridge to use for fermentation.

My questions are as follows:

1. Can I use the deep freeze without making any mods to it? I am thinking of using a thermostat that can control both heating and cooling for year round fermenting in BC. I was thinking of a heat belt for the heater, and wondering if freezer door could just be closed on the cord from the belt and temp probe...

2. The depth of the freezer (front to back, not top to bottom) is just shy of 15", maybe 14-7/8ths. My primary ferm. vessel is a large bucket with lid that is 15-1/8", and will fit if it squeezed in. I'm just wondering if mis-shaping the opening and lid will create too big of a gap around the lid on each side that might cause any issues with nasties getting in.

3. Are they're any dual temp controllers other than the ones listed on beer supply sites that are a no-brainer decision for someone just starting out? I am fairly sure I am aware of most from doing my research, just don't want to miss out on any when deciding.

Cheers!!

Get an STC 1000 temp controller from amazon or eBay. Make sure it's the 110V. It will both heat and cool. There are several threads to wire them up and it isn't hard. You could put a collar on your chest freezer like the ones below. That wouldn't be a permanent mod. Here is a pic of the temp controller as well. One side of the top outlet is for heat, the other for cooling. The bottom outlet is always on.

image-1541346085.jpg

image-986760427.jpg

image-1138547646.jpg

I've ordered the STC-1000, which is pretty much the one I figured I'd settle on based on price, simplicity and good reviews.

Does anyone foresee any issues using a heat belt as the heater? And is the slightly squished fermentation bucket going to cause any grief?

bru-ster76 said:
...And is the slightly squished fermentation bucket going to cause any grief?

I'm not sure, but that's why I built the collars for mine. May as well give them room.

Yep, I may have to do that then.

I don't need to bypass the built-in thermostat on the freezer do I? I should be able to just plug the freezer into the cooling outlet on the controller and it should start the compressor each time when it reaches the set point for it to kick in, as the fermentation temps will be much higher than what the internal thermostat is set for, right?

Yep, I may have to do that then.

I don't need to bypass the built-in thermostat on the freezer do I? I should be able to just plug the freezer into the cooling outlet on the controller and it should start the compressor each time when it reaches the set point for it to kick in, as the fermentation temps will be much higher than what the internal thermostat is set for, right?

You are doing yourself and all who drink your beer a huge favor by getting set up this way. Good for you.:mug:

Turn the freezer thermostat all the way on cold. The STC-1000 will regulate the temp for you by turning the freezer power on and off at the plug. No mods are needed to the mechanics of the freezer.

Here are some links that might help you out -

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

+1 on the suggestion to add a collar to the chest freezer. An 8ft 2x6 board will work great. The collar is attached/glued to the freezer body and then the lid hinges mount to the collar. It will simply raise the height to give you what you need.

I use the DIY paint can heater for those rare times it gets cold enough here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I ordered the STC-1000 today and gathered the supplies for the build. Here's what I've accomplished today, (I thought I should share so you know your help was used) :mug:

All the wiring is done, and now I have to patiently wait for the controller to come in and then get it mounted/connected and it's done.

I've also decided to keep looking for another freezer, this current one my wife donated to my cause will be the fermentation chamber, and I'm going whole-hog and going to build a Keezer and invest in a keg system. I have yet to make a batch of beer though..... I hope I don't suck. :)

cotroller.jpg

Ok, I ordered the STC-1000 today and gathered the supplies for the build. Here's what I've accomplished today, (I thought I should share so you know your help was used) :mug:

All the wiring is done, and now I have to patiently wait for the controller to come in and then get it mounted/connected and it's done.

I've also decided to keep looking for another freezer, this current one my wife donated to my cause will be the fermentation chamber, and I'm going whole-hog and going to build a Keezer and invest in a keg system. I have yet to make a batch of beer though..... I hope I don't suck. :)

Nice work on the controller box. :rockin: By starting out with solid fermentation temp control, you'll be making some tasty beer for sure.

May I suggest holding off on kegging until you brew/ferment/bottle a few batches. It's a lot to learn getting the process solid and it takes a few runs for you to get comfortable with it. Also, if you've bottled some, you'll really appreciate racking 5 gallons of beer into a corny vs. filling 50 bottles.

I do both since I like to give beer away to friends and coworkers. Of the last three batches, I kegged one and bottled the other two. The next one (Dead Guy clone now fermenting) is destined for a keg.

However, since you are thinking about doing a keezer, here's mine -

handleson_zpsd8d6d2ad.jpg

I've since mounted the STC-1000 on the back edge of the lid and hard-wired it to the freezer plug wire. I need to update the photo.

Looks awesome, Floyd!

I was always planning on bottling the first few efforts, but when I was looking at buying 1L flip top bottles, it was going to run me $90 for 24. I live in a small town, and it's hard to come by anything other than 355ml bottles, which I knew I wanted to avoid. So I could have collected the 355ml, and bought the capper and caps, or spend money on fliptops, which is more up my alley, regardless. Then, after starting to consider it all, I figured I'd rather spend the money on a keg system and go big from the get go. I have a call into the local bottle return, if I can get enough fliptop bottles, I most likely will bottle the first few batches, while I wait to find a good cheap fridge.

I do both since I like to give beer away to friends and coworkers. Of the last three batches, I kegged one and bottled the other two.

Can you keg a batch and bottle it from the keg for giving away and or taking it to parties etc?

Craigslist. I've bought two chest freezers, a mini fridge, and 10 corny kegs from various people.

Edit: oops, this post is kinda out of order; it is in response to waiting for a cheap fridge.

Can you keg a batch and bottle it from the keg for giving away and or taking it to parties etc?

You can. It's a bit involved. I use a stainless adapter made for Perlick faucets that has a bottling tube on it to fill a 2-liter ginger ale bottle and then cap it with a "Carbonator" cap. The Carbonator accepts a standard CO2 coupling which allows you to purge and gas up the 2-liter bottle. It works. The beer that I've taken to parties this way pours with a normal head and carbonation. I've found that chilling both the plastic bottle and the filler tube helps keep down the foam when filling. I knock my serving pressure down as well.

To bottle from a tap into a regular 12oz. glass beer bottle (like to send to a competition), see this thread - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Very nice BigFloyd.

Thanks man.

Looks awesome, Floyd!

I was always planning on bottling the first few efforts, but when I was looking at buying 1L flip top bottles, it was going to run me $90 for 24. I live in a small town, and it's hard to come by anything other than 355ml bottles, which I knew I wanted to avoid. So I could have collected the 355ml, and bought the capper and caps, or spend money on fliptops, which is more up my alley, regardless. Then, after starting to consider it all, I figured I'd rather spend the money on a keg system and go big from the get go. I have a call into the local bottle return, if I can get enough fliptop bottles, I most likely will bottle the first few batches, while I wait to find a good cheap fridge.

http://www.monsterbrew.com/Cat-Bottling.cfm
I got a case of their 1 liter bottles. But I will warn you, I received three of them broken. They did send me out another full case which arrived intact but it did take about two months due to them trying to peddle me a paltry credit and then not shipping replacements. Shipping cost about $30 so your $71 bottles charge out at $102... But the bottles are sound, the lids have no issues, and the beer tastes like beer... But I would also advise bottling a batch or two before going to kegs. There is much to learn.

Well the good news is that I was able to get 17 1L swing top bottles from a bottle return depot for 75 cents each. It beats the 3.55-3.95 + shipping. So I will get a few more and bottle the first few batches. I just didn't want to spend $100 on bottles up front when I want to get into kegging anyway. Figured the $ would be better spent on the keg system, but bottles this cheap is worth it and gets me bottling a few batches first. ;)

Back