Fermentation Chamber Woes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulseyou

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a new 7cu chest freezer to keep my fermentation in check in these hot California months. I insulated the probe w/ packing tape on my fermentor and set it to 65 with 1 degree variation. I also have a cup of water that I routinely check the temperature of inside the freezer. The water consistenly reads 58 degrees. At first I thought this wasnt a problem as keeping the temp of the beer at 65 would mean ambient temp would be lower. But the water stayed at 58 degrees ever after the active part of fermentation was complete. Went to bottle the 2 different beers today after 3 weeks and realized I had a stuck fermentation (estimated FG 1.010, actual FG 1.025) on both of them. What is going on here? Any imput welcome!

Sounds like maybe your controller sensor may be off. Are you confident in the accuracy of the thermometer you had in the water? Have you checked either one in some ice water?

If it was really too cool, simply warm it up slowly to 65*F, give it a swirl and see what happens in a week.

Back