Fermentation chamber with acrylic or glass front?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackattack

Reaction score
Perusing the forums and looking for a build and was curious if anyone did one like I'm thinking. I have two conical coming and it seems a shame to have all that pretty stainless closed in. Cooling source will be an ac unit.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Your likely to have to buy some type of special glass otherwise your going to be losing quite a bit of temp i would think to the outside, then again maybe im wrong but i doubt those glass doors at the grocery store's for their refrigerated/freezer section are just standard glass...

If he only needs ale temperatures I don't see how it would be that hard to accomplish..... lager temperatures could be possible as well although I'm sure a build would be a lot more complex and honestly at that point I think your better off searching for a glass door refrigerator. I'm eager to hear some ideas though.

Op iirc you have brewhemoths coming?

In my experience with aquariums (custom built), acrylic is a better insulator than glass. As a raw material it is also easier/safer to cut and work with. The one drawback is that acrylic scratches easier.

Check Spartech for sheets of various size. :)

If you have an unlimited budget, (inefficient energy savings) single pane glass will do. (if you are careful, read the glass carboy disaster threads)

If you are not rich you will at least need some sort of double pane glass.

How about a temperature controlled walk in cool room????$$$$???

Well the thermal conductivity of acrylic is .8 and glass is .96 so I don't really think you would see a major difference between the two. I would recommend dual pane for either. If you DIY it, you could even tri pane if you felt so inclined. If you were to choose glass all I would recommend is tempered glass. Either way. throw up some pics if you choose to go this route.

Latest posts

Back