Fermentation chamber vs glycol cooled fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey,

Been doing a lot of browsing here trying to decide what pros and cons are to expand my temp controlled fermentation space.
Adjusting the thermostat in the basement is too costly.
Buying new freezer/fridge and temp controller for each fermentor is too expensive.

In Florida, I have a walkout basement, which is ideal temp in the winter months (68°) but I want to brew year round and get better control. In summer its 80°. I have one temp controlled freezer that I have been reserving for lager fermentation in my SS conical. I do 11 gallons for 10 gal of finished beer. Have two of those dog food containers for doing ale fermentations in, but they are difficult to clean and sanitize, and a pita to move when full.. Trying to split a 10 gallon batch into two 5 gallon carboys is suboptimal. I've been considering getting additional conicals, possibly plastic as the cost of SS is crazy, or else get some wine fermentors with controllable dead space, and flat bottom with spigot.

Ability to do simultaneous ale and lager is a plus. Ability to easily clean the fermentation vessels also a plus, and also ability to fill and move them from the brewing are to the fermentation area would be a plus. I can see initially wanting capacity for three 10 gallon brews at a time.

Any recommendations? Reading every post about every fermentation chamber in the DIY section alone would take a month, though some builds a rather impressive.

Thanks!

TD

As far as fermenters go, have you looked into the Spiedel fermenters at MoreBeer?

They come in a few sizes, linked is the 60L which I have, I fill it and carry it full to my basement the plastic handles are rated for the weight.

Maybe build a little ferm chamber like this? Big enough that you could fit 2 Spiedels in?

http://www.lewybrewing.com/2011/07/son-of-fermenter-build.html

Thanks.

60L would be fine capacity.

Do you think I could do lagers like that? This might work in the short term. That assumes my carpentry skills are up to the task.

Certainly easier than the immersion chilled, glycol circulating plastic conical setup I've been looking at.

TD

The immersion chilled option is far more efficient as the cooling coils (evaporator) are in direct contact with the liquid; you will certainly save energy. They're also more efficient if you directly insulate the fermenter. -This also means it's going to be easier to get temps that are far below ambient with the immersion chiller option. (If you want to crash cool to freezing or slightly below for lagering in the Florida heat.)

The fermentation chamber option makes it really cheap and easy to expand capacity though. (You can chill kegs, beer in bottles, etc... Can't really do that with the immersion coil option well.

You don't HAVE TO go with stainless or copper immersion coils; you can go with cheaper materials if the coil is external to the fermenter but then your efficiency drops pretty quickly especially with a plastic conical.

You can pick up a used air conditioner or dehumidifier for dirt cheap on craigslist.

Adam

As far as fermenters go, have you looked into the Spiedel fermenters at MoreBeer?
[/URL]

Do you know if these are rated to withstand boiling temperatures? I only ask because I am looking into no-chill brewing and this would be the real ticket for doing 10 gallon no-chill brews.

Yeah, I am thinking that the versatility of doing ales/lagers simultaneously would be a huge advantage of the plastic conical & immersion coil glycol solution. I'm not the best carpenter though so this is also attractive for that reason. I'd probably use the steel stands for the plastic conicals instead of a fancy wooden countertop solution, and get some work done by a local welder.

The price and timeframe for assembly of all that however is rather daunting. I think I would probably be better off making a fermentation chamber for doing ales for starters using an existing Mini Fridge and then see what kind of mileage I get, while looking forward to a three plastic conical setup like I've seen on a thread here, and in the meanwhile, continue using my freezer/conical for lager brewing. I might even be able to do a walk in Fermentation closet/chamber in my basement with a window AC unit and a cheap temp controller for ales and avoid the rather painstaking process of a smaller chamber.

Anyways, food for thought. Still entertaining thoughts on pros & cons of the two approaches.

Thanks again.

TD

Back