Fermentation Chamber questions/ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summersby

Reaction score
So I have a fully functioning 5 tap keezer that works great. Over the weekend I have a lead on a french door fridge (freezer on bottom) that I will be able to bring into the brewing world in the next few weeks. I would like to setup a fermentation chamber, but am torn on how to progress. Here are my thoughts listed in preferred order:

1. Keep fridge as is and be able to use it as fridge/freezer and bottled beer storage. Get a ferm wrap with temperature control and throw fermenter in the fridge when needed. Can I keep the fridge at 38F and expect the ferm wrap to bring it up to 60-74F? What if I insulated the fermentor? Would be best option as far as functionality. FYI, I use plastic Big Mouth Bubblers, not even sure if Fermwrap is an option.

2. Swap keezer and fridge functionality. Move taps to fridge and still retain some beer bottle storage and use of freezer. Would require drilling fridge for taps. Could then use old freezer as fermentation chamber and just get alternate heat source. Viable option, but would have to physically alter fridge.

3. Just temperature control fridge as a fermentation chamber. Easy enough to do, but would lose functionality of freezer and potential bottled beer storage due to temperature fluctuation.

4. Propose me your idea!

Thoughts? What would you do? Thanks in advance.
The Reddit Homebrew community is such a great group to ask these questions to.

Back