Fermentation chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucknorris101

Reaction score
Hi

My GF has an old mini fridge collecting dust at her parents house and I want to use it to make a fermentation chamber build, the only problem is that I have plenty of vertical space but not much horizontal space. I know youre not supposed to use a fridge on its side, is there any way to modify the fridge to work so that it could be on the top of the chamber facing down? (I.E. door side down)

Or should I just suck it up and use the floor space?

Suck it up and use the floor space, or build it vertically, with the fridge on top (oriented correctly) and put the carboy in the space beneath it.

I've seen where people have removed the bracket bolts holding the compresor to the mini-fridge and [[[[gently]]]] turned the compressor 90 degrees without kinking the refrigerant tubing. That way the compressor can run if the opening to the fridge is upside-down...

I haven't tried it, but I'm tempted to make a box out of rigid insulation to see if it works.

Back