Fermentation Chamber, Beer Cellar, Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiescins

Reaction score
I'm really not sure what I need/want, so I'm putting it out there to the HBTers to help me figure it out. There are a few target items (see list below), hopefully there is something out there for me.

1) Fermentation chamber - Would like to control temp to ~65F, capacity for 2x 6.5gal glass carboys (with blow-off or airlock)

2) Cold crash - Would really like to cold crash prior to racking/bottling

3 & 4 are where it get's tricky

3) Beer cellar - I have a lot of commercial beer that I would like to keep at a constant relatively low temp. Does not need to be perfect, but would like to keep between 55F-60F

4) Chest freezer - SWMBO & I tend to cook in large quantities and freeze meals. Thus our freezer is always full (currently have a side by side that sucks for space). This is very important, as this will be a key selling point in making this whole contraption happen.

Another factor (& hopefully selling point) is that we live in a condo in Chicago with very limited storage space. I have beer & equipment stashed in the guest bedroom, an alcove off the living room, storage unit, and do primary fermentation in the 2nd bathroom shower (wrap carboy in cold we towel to help keep temp down).

The alcove off of the living room is a solid spot for this contraption (I can take a measurement when I get home), as there is a decent space and it is out of the way. I would like be able to end the bathroom fermenting, greatly reduce the clutter in both alcove and bedroom (storage unit is good to go as is).

Any ideas on a multi-chamber fridge/freezer that will hold 2-4 carboys (2x 6.5gal & 2x 5gal), ~5+ cases of beer, and provide a good amount of freezer space. Lastly, it needs to look good, this will be out of the way, but main part of house, can't be a hack job.

Any & all help is greatly appreciated!

FYI You can fit 2 carboys in a 7cu ft chest freezer. I don't think you will want the carboys in the same space as your chilled beer since the temperature you will want will be very difference for each application. You have a sticky situation my friend.

are you looking to do this with one "contraption?" If so, probably wont happen. Sounds like you need a seperate freezers for food and seperate ferm chamber/ cold crashing. (Second Fridge or two freezers)

I'm realizing that the all in one is very likely not going to happen. I'm thinking the beer cellar is going to be 1st concession.

I think I need half freezer for SWMBO and half adjustable for fermentation / cold crashing. Attached is a picture of the space. I would like something along the wall on the right (where the 2 bikes are). Ideally i would like to have the adjustable side handle all 4 of my carboys, so it can double as ascetically pleasing storage.

There is also picture of my "behind the door" technique of storage in the spare bedroom.

living room.jpg

bed room.jpg

Get rid of the guest bed and get an blow up air mattress. Then you will have all the room you need for beer and refrigeration!

I saw this thread died a while back, but am wondering if anyone has tried to make a cellar with a thermeolectric cooler (like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vRHJ_ijc1A)?

I am thinking of converting an ordinary wood cupboard into a cellar. I will make a hole in the cupboard at the top where lid of the cooler will sit. I will connect that to a temperature controller that switches it on/off when needed.

The cupboard will only be used as a cellar and really just to keep the temperature down during summer. So it will only opened once or twice a month when I put new beers in for storage.

Any ideas or experience with something like this?

Back