fermentation chamber and kegerator ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgbu

Reaction score
hi guys I'm new here, I know this has been answered before I've searched around and I've gotten mixed answer so I'll just ask here. summers around the corner and it gets hot here in southern cali. I been fermenting my beer in a dark chill closet with our typical heat waves I won't be able to do this anymore so I'm looking to get me a freezer unit and a temp controller and use it as a fermentation chamber 1st question is , is it possible to use a freezer unit as a fermentation chamber ? and if so can I also use this freezer unit as a kegerator after fermentation ? is there pros and cons ferment chamber as kegerator ? any recommendations on temp controller ?

I use a Keezer for dual purpose. I ferment 4-5 days in the Keezer at 61 then put it at room temp for a week. No off flavor perceived yet. It's not ideal but it works

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep. I use my keezer for fermenting. I fill my beer lines with starsan (using a spare keg) before warming the unit up though... I'm ocd about mold and other yuckies. Probably not necessary, but you know... stupid ocd makes me.

Yep. I use my keezer for fermenting. I fill my beer lines with starsan (using a spare keg) before warming the unit up though... I'm ocd about mold and other yuckies. Probably not necessary, but you know... stupid ocd makes me.

can you still use it as a kegerator after fermentation?

Main con is that ales are fermenting in the ~60* range, so you're not going to be able to have anything on tap while fermenting. If you are worried about overall footprint, think about a stand up fridge/freezer for kegs, and a smaller (I use a wine fridge) for fermentation. You can cold crash in a kegerator.

Main con is that ales are fermenting in the ~60* range, so you're not going to be able to have anything on tap while fermenting. If you are worried about overall footprint, think about a stand up fridge/freezer for kegs, and a smaller (I use a wine fridge) for fermentation. You can cold crash in a kegerator.

which is no problem for me since I'm only going to ferment 1st then kegging after never doing both at the same time but that's my concern will I be able to use a keezer in that order with no problem?

can you still use it as a kegerator after fermentation?

Sure! I just pop the kegs back in and cool it back down. I usually only have a carboy in there for a few days, until active fermentation is finished. Then the carboy comes out and is put in the coolest room in my house(downstairs shower).

As long as you don't bleed the kegs while they're out of the keezer, they will maintain their carbonation when cooled back down.

Just make sure you have a fan and a dehumidifier in there...

Edit: As for your question about temp controllers, search "stc 1000" on this website. Easy to build and cheap. Reliable too!

Sure! I just pop the kegs back in and cool it back down. I usually only have a carboy in there for a few days, until active fermentation is finished. Then the carboy comes out and is put in the coolest room in my house(downstairs shower).

As long as you don't bleed the kegs while they're out of the keezer, they will maintain their carbonation when cooled back down.

Just make sure you have a fan and a dehumidifier in there...

Edit: As for your question about temp controllers, search "stc 1000" on this website. Easy to build and cheap. Reliable too!
just questioning why the dehumidifier?

just questioning why the dehumidifier?

When the keezer is warmer and closed, you will get some moisture in there. Dark + Damp = mold.

You can find cheap, reusable EvaDry humidifiers on ebay for $12-$15. The knock-offs are just as good as the name brand ones. Use a small fan to keep the air moving around too.

It will work, but who wants to go without beer on tap? I've got a 6 tap Keezer and sometimes wish I went bigger!

Back