Fermentation Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamster

Reaction score
Being new to this hobby I have a question on cleaning the fermenter after bottling. I used some oxyclean to clean the bucket. I let it soak, washed and rinsed it thoroughly. I realize that plastic tends to hold smell. So I figure that the bucket will probably always smell of beer. Correct? Or should i be cleaning it better.

It's fine, mine smells line beer and has developed a brownish yellow tint over the years. It's just the nature of plastic. Clean it when it's done and sanitize before use and it will be great

Mine always smells like beer (well, it's usually full of beer, but even when it's not, it smells a little like beer). You're cleaning it just fine. I just use regular unscented dish soap on mine. Just use a soft sponge so you don't scratch the plastic and give nasties places to hide.

You won't get rid of the smell and like everyone else, mine's tinted brownish/yellow after less than a year. I'm about ready to ditch the plastic and go all glass so I don't have to deal with cleaning plastic buckets.

My Saison sat for a month and it was a pain trying to get the crud off of the bucket. At least with glass I can use a brush.

I use a brush on my buckets, a large brush, but I scrub gently and only to knock off the loose sediment after a 24+hr. soak in oxyclean free. Never had to "scrub" it whatsoever. Sure, it smells like beer but what do I care? That's the beauty of StarSan. It's damn good at what it does.

Back