Fermentation and Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IFlyEm

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing...I am on day 3 of my primary fermentation. I have noticed that the bubbling in the airlock has stopped and the temperature of the beer is now at 66 degrees. It was holding steady between 68-72 degress with lots of bubbling in the airlock. I used a dry yeast and the beer is an Irish Red Ale kit. Should I do the secondary fermentation now or wait a few more days?

Wait. You can leave the beer on the lees for weeks - indeed, 'til it's clear and ready for bottling. The real second fermentation will take place in your bottles. Most beers don't need to be put into an intermediary clearing vessel.

This is my first time brewing...I am on day 3 of my primary fermentation. I have noticed that the bubbling in the airlock has stopped and the temperature of the beer is now at 66 degrees. I was holding steady between 68-72 degress with lots of bubbling in the airlock. I used a dry yeast and the beer is an Irish Red Ale kit. Should I do the secondary fermentation now or wait a few more days?

Get a hydrometer and test the gravity or wait until 3 weeks passes if you don't want to do that. The beer might not be done fermenting.

Really no need for a secondary for most "normal" beers--just leave it in your primary untili you are ready to bottle; rack to your bottling bucket, and give 'er. Many brewers now avoid secondaries because they increase the risk of infection and expose your beer to more air (unless you are like me and purge everything with CO2 before transferring).

The only real urgent reason to move your beer to a secondary is if you need your primary for your next batch.

Get a hydrometer and test the gravity or wait until 3 weeks passes if you don't want to do that. The beer might not be done fermenting.

I was told that the temp of the beer should be 68-72 degrees...If its 66 degrees now, should i move the location of the fermenter to a warmer area? Its in my basement now.

Thanks for the information. Is there a minimum temperature that I should maintain?

It depends on the yeast you are using and the style of beer you are making. I typically go near the bottom of the temp range for most yeasts b/c I like a very clean flavour. That works with most (but not all) strains; for example many brewers report peach flavours in S-05 at low temperatures.

If you set your ambient temperature around high 50's, even 60, you'll ferment in the low 60's and get generally good results. Of course, for lagers you need to go significantly lower and for some ale styles/yeasts, somewhat higher.

Thanks for the information. Is there a minimum temperature that I should maintain?

Like Osagedr said, fermenting at the low to middle of the range for the yeast will produce a good, clean beer. As for the temp range, it varies by strain. Check the manufacturer's website, there should be information on the strain of yeast you used.

Latest posts

Back