Fermenation Blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranger13

Reaction score
OK I have a problem and need some advise. I have a Rotfort10 in the primary that has been in there for 28 day and is now down to 1 bubble every 43 seconds. I like to trasfer to the secondary after 1 bubble every 1 min. So here is the problem that beer needs to come off the trub but all my sencondary fermenter are being used. I have a hounker ale that has been in the secondary now for only 3days and went in there every clear but 2 pionts above the FG. It is now down to 1 bubble every 4min 56sec would it hurt to bottle it? I really dont have the space to buy another carboy and store it. Thanks for the help.

Matt

Ranger, I would take a gravity reading on the brew that you have in the secondary just to make sure that it has achieved what you want it to do, but if you are only getting a bubble every 5 minutes or so, I think you are fine to bottle. Remember that it is possible to skip the secondary and bottle after 10 days or whenever final gravity was reached. Before I got really into extract brewing, I would brew it, put it in the primary, and then bottle it after it stopped bubbling or got close to stopping bubbling. Didn't take a reading, didn't do it according to any particular rule. Just when it stopped bubbling, I bottled. Made decent beer. This was way before I really got a handle on the whole hydrometer reading thing. Just my opinion, of course. :) 2 points above FG you should be just fine.

Just let it sit until you have a carboy available, there isn't any problem leaving it on the trub for a couple more weeks as long as it is fermenting.

By the same token, the hounker ale could be bottled without any problem. 2 points won't make for bottle bombs.

You really need to get used to using a hydrometer instead of bubble watching. Sometimes bubbles, or lack there of, has nothing to do with the fermentation. Small leaks and temp changes can change the way the airlock will react. As for your question, you should be able to leave the Rotfort10 in the primary longer if you have to. I have left things in the primary for a month or more longer than needed, with no ill affects. As for the batch in your secondary, it may be done and ready to bottle. Check the gravity for 3 days in a row and if the gravity isn't dropping you should be fine, and like david_42 said, the 2 points shouldn't cause a prob.

Cheers, :tank:

I have a similar sitatuation. I am thinking I will do the following. Transfer the beer to a bottling bucket, clean the carboy, than transfer it back. I realize that exposes the beer to more O2 and is a bit much, but I won't have my other carboy available for who knows how long and the one I want to transfer has been in primary about 2 weeks. I know it could sit longer, but it will make me feel better so... :p

just a thought.

BierMuncher said:
Bartender....a round of carboys for all my brewing buddies...
Hey sanks... hic, scuse me, :tank:

hey, way a minit, tis carboy sempty!

wherd tall go?

:drunk:

DragonTail if you notice I said that the gravity is 2 points high, this reading was taken from a hydrometer. But the info you provided was usefull. I have six primary and six secondary fermenters but I just dont have any more room for more of them. Trust me I wish I did. I think I need to start doing biger batch, now thats a idea. As it is I have them every where.

Thanks Guys

Back