Fermcap S - turning solid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camiller

Reaction score
My bottle of fermcap seems to be turning into a thick gel. :mad: Anyone else experienced this? Was trying to use it last Monday and couldn't hardly get a drop out, then noticed it had become a thick gel in the bottle. Am I storing it wrong? One of the other homebrewers I know mentioned that when he visited Midwest while at the AHA conference that they stored it refrigerated. The bottle didn't say to store it refrigerated. Any thoughts? Any way to turn it back to a liquid?

Just got my first ever bottle of fermcap from Northern Brewer, and right under the fermcap on the lable is keep refridgerated, and there is an expirery date on another sticker, but it is almost 2 years away.

My bottle is close to 2 years old and it doesn't say anything, but I had read to keep it refrigerated before I bought it.

I would suspect that the lid was not tight and it dried out a little. You could add back some sterile water (i.e. a just opened bottle of distilled) to thin it out.

I would suspect that the lid was not tight and it dried out a little. You could add back some sterile water (i.e. a just opened bottle of distilled) to thin it out.

I'll try that, but right now it almost looks like mostly cured silicone caulk.

Back