Fermaid-k instead of fermaid-o

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OssianOtt

Reaction score
Hello, we started a batch of mead using the mead batch builder:

https://www.youtobrew.com/mead-batch-builder
However we've run out of ferm-o for a second dose and there are non available to buy, can we use a dose of ferm-k of the recommended amount at first and only dose of K (which is a little lower than ferm-o) instead? We have it at hand.

Thanks!

Hello, we started a batch of mead using the mead batch builder:

https://www.youtobrew.com/mead-batch-builder
However we've run out of ferm-o for a second dose and there are non available to buy, can we use a dose of ferm-k of the recommended amount at first and only dose of K (which is a little lower than ferm-o) instead? We have it at hand.

Thanks!
Yes, you can use Fermaid K in place of the Fermaid O. Fermaid K has DAP in it so, I would recommend adding it before your gravity reaches 1.035 or the yeast may not be able to consume all of it.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Yes, you can use Fermaid K in place of the Fermaid O. Fermaid K has DAP in it so, I would recommend adding it before your gravity reaches 1.035 or the yeast may not be able to consume all of it.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎
Thanks so much Dan. I read somewhere it's digested faster by the yeast than ferm-o which linger for a longer time, would it be wise to split the dose up in half, say 6.5 grams at 1.080 (which is where the second and only dose is supposed to be served) and one at 1.060 or lower?

Last edited:
Thanks so much Dan. I read somewhere it's digested faster by the yeast than ferm-o which linger for a longer time, would it be wise to split the dose up in half, say 6.5 grams at 1.080 (which is where the second and only dose is supposed to be served) and one at 1.060 or lower?
I typically add my nutrients at the 1/3 & 2/3 sugar breaks, (meaning after 1/3 & 2/3 of the sugars have been consumed).
If you find your ferment is moving along quicker than normal, sometimes that schedule would be altered to 24, 48, & 72 hrs.
I'm pretty certain yours will be fine if you split the last dose into 2 doses, 1 @ 1.080, & the other around 1.050. I don't know what your OG was, but it should be close enough to get your yeast through to the end without too much stress on them.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Back