Ferm wrap out door fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I picked up a fermawrap thinking I could ferment lager's outside in my shed. Temps are so cold here right now I can't get the carboy up past 42F. I wrapped the carboy in a towel for now, has anyone tried this and if so what did you cover the carboy with to keep/get that temp higher? I recently ordered 2 things from midwest that is touted at keeping the carboy warm, (2 covers one looks like it's made from insulation and the other a general cover)

It was 3 degrees in jersey for me this morning. Try more insulation, sleeping bag, old winter coats?? Good luck, I always thought these things were to boost temps in a cold basement, for outdoor winter fermenting might be a stretch. Also, it might take a while to raise the temps once you have enough insulation as they are not that powerfull I would imagine.

It was 3 degrees in jersey for me this morning. Try more insulation, sleeping bag, old winter coats?? Good luck, I always thought these things were to boost temps in a cold basement, for outdoor winter fermenting might be a stretch. Also, it might take a while to raise the temps once you have enough insulation as they are not that powerfull I would imagine.

Yeah I live in Matawan Aberdeen area

doh I see you can see that in the side profile

Nice to see it working. Another option is to put it in a cooler full of water and put an aquarium heater in it. It might take a pretty big heater at 3 degrees though.

I feel a Revy post coming about bubbles in the airlock. :D

I've never done a lager before since I live in the south and don't have a dedicated ferm chamber. That being said, something brought your ferm up to 50. Insulation won't do that without a heat source. I would bet you have active yeast unless there is another heat source.

I feel a Revy post coming about bubbles in the airlock. :D

I've never done a lager before since I live in the south and don't have a dedicated ferm chamber. That being said, something brought your ferm up to 50. Insulation won't do that without a heat source. I would bet you have active yeast unless there is another heat source.

The heat source is the fermwrap with a Johnson digital temp controller

https://morebeer.com/view_product/16674

I'm just concerned because the temp of the wort went down to 42F after pitching but I guess I'm jumping the gun here it hasn't been 48 hours yet:D

It hit 75 in Montrey Calif, Salinas inland a bit hit 77 with higher temps tomorrow. We hit 72 on the island people sweating in tank tops with Harley's and bikes everywhere. Fridge fermenting required in the winter.

it's snowing here right now.....

Back