Ferm time for Weizenbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Archer

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have an extract Weizenbock in the fermenter. It has been going strong for a week now. Smells great coming out of the airlock. Gonna get a gravity once it looks like it’s done.

My question is, how long should I let it sit before I bottle? I know I want some yeast hanging out in a wheat, so I don’t wanna let too much stuff fall out. My ale I went 3 weeks before bottling.

Of course I’ll check gravity and taste before I decide to go for it. I’m just trying to figure out what a good standard time might be. I’ve looked every where and haven’t been able to find anything about a Bock. Thanks for any help.

Cheers! [emoji482]

Hefe yeast is pretty aggresive and fermentation would be finished in the first 4-5 days. Give it a few more days with a slightly elevated temp. to help it finish/clean after itself and it should be OK at day 15. I would bet you could keg it even earlier than 15 days, but it comes down to preference and how comfortable you are with the whole process. ( * provided stable gravity was achieved earlier )

Yeah it took off pretty quickly and went nuts the first 2 or so days. Today is day 6 and it looks like it’s about done. Gonna take a gravity when I get home and see what’s up.

I'm pretty sure it will be ready to bottle at day 10, or even sooner. Never hurts to wait a few days more than you must.

what was the OG? mine has been in the 1.065-1.075 area, and I find it ferments out pretty quickly, just as fast as a light hefeweizen.

fwiw, i don't think you need to worry about all the yeast falling out of suspension. even if it looks clear there will be plenty enough yeast to bottle-condition if the OG is reasonable. If the OG is over 1.08 or so, I would consider adding extra yeast at bottling.

So you're bottling a 1.071 beer after 12 days? Are you sure the FG is stable?

I will make sure before I bottle. I took one and it was at 1.012 which surprised me a little bit. I did not expect it to go that low. Gonna check on Sunday and see if it’s still there.

I know I want some yeast hanging out in a wheat, so I don’t wanna let too much stuff fall out. My ale I went 3 weeks before bottling
.... [emoji482]
you will have plenty of yeast for conditioning suspended. over carbonation is more of a risk.
If you want a massive amount of yeast in the bottle, swirl it up before bottling (trick is to wait the right amount of time to settle out most of the trub and still keep sufficient yeast in suspension).

Back