Ferm temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesmith1611

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast yesterday and the wort was at 20c checking this morning it has shot up to 29c. I have now put the wort in my shed where it is 12c ambient.
Will the wort cool down to the yeast range 15-25c before its too late?
is my beer going to be ruined? Its an english amber honey ale!

it should. i just made a honey amber very impressed. drank 4 of them and the arent suppose to be drank till tuesday lol. If there is no ferm in a couple days you might have to pitch more yeast.

Can you put it in a water bath or something to cool it down to 20C again? 29C is simply too hot, and the yeast will go crazy and start fermenting at a high temperature like that. Yeast LOVE warm temperatures, but they don't produce good beer at those temperatures. Instead, they produce fruity flavors (esters) and even fusel alcohols (the "hot" alcohol that gives headaches).

12C is too cool for ale yeast, but if you could put the fermenter in a bucket or bin with some 18C water, that would help bring the whole works down to a better temperature.

Panic over, wort chilled to desired range in a few hours and is fermenting well, thanks guys

Back