Fementing cool, bottle at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEversole

Reaction score
If I ferment my wort in at cool temp, then bottle and leave the bottles at room temp will this affect the beer at all? Should I put all the bottles in the fridge too?

No, you will be fine. You only have to worry about off flavors from temperature during the first couple days of fermentation. During carbonation you will be fine. If you can, after carbonation, store them in a cool dark place, fridge isn't necessary, but you don't want them baking in a 90 degree shed either.

CEversole said:
If I ferment my wort in at cool temp, then bottle and leave the bottles at room temp will this affect the beer at all? Should I put all the bottles in the fridge too?

Fermenting cool has nothing to do with the bottling/conditioning process as they are 2 separate things.

To properly calculate the amount of priming sugar you do need to know the temp of fermentation as that will help determine the existing amount of CO2 in the finished beer.

Once bottled the best thing to do is place the bottles in a dark space at 70 and leave them for a minimum of 3 weeks. Then place a few in the fridge for a week or two and then sample. Once you've confirmed that everything is done, carbed and properly conditioned you can put them all in the fridge if you want but it's not necessary. The bottles can also be stored in a cool dark room until you're ready for more.

I'm assuming you're bottle conditioning, and not bottling from a keg with already carbonated beer?

If you put bottles in the refrigerator before they're carbonated, they won't carbonate. As mentioned above, 70 degrees for a minimum of 3 weeks in a dark place is the best bet (some could be carbed before that, but 3 weeks is typical, and some beers can take substantially longer). Once they're fully carbonated, then you can refrigerate them (depending on the beer, this may or may not be a good idea- if it needs to age it'll do best warmer but beers better fresh should be stored cold). But don't put em in the fridge before they're fully carbonated.

I guess I'm thinking of it along the lines of if you pull out a bottle of ketsup, open it, and put it in the fridge, then I wouldn't want to leave it out all the next day at room temp and try eating it afterwards...

Just a thought I had, thanks for the advice though guys.

CEversole said:
I guess I'm thinking of it along the lines of if you pull out a bottle of ketsup, open it, and put it in the fridge, then I wouldn't want to leave it out all the next day at room temp and try eating it afterwards...

Just a thought I had, thanks for the advice though guys.

I understand your analogy I think but katsup is a perishable product and once it's been opened it is no longer properly sealed. Your beer bottle is sealed and will remain that way until you drink it but if for example you only pour half and then leave the remainder out it will obviously go flat

Back