[Feeler] Any Interest in Digital Tap Lists?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this. I have everything except for the mini computer. Where did you get the program to make the beer list?

I am VERY VERY interested in this, lets get this going and available to everyone!!! Great layout and I am sure the setup will not be bad, how soon can this be done :D

Short answer: Got a half day off from the boss. Wooo! Hopefully I'll have my static version (sans flow meters, solenoids, etc.) finished tomorrow. Your version? Who knows. I want to take this slow and do it right so I'm not redesigning the whole thing a month later.

Long answer:

Putting a bunch of thought into how I would release this. I'll be issuing updates periodically, and I'm trying to develop a method for doing so that users can update their version without having to re-configure everything. Github is nice and all, but I'd really prefer apt-get if possible. Researching that.

I'm also trying to develop a system to let users select only the columns and metrics they want to display and easily re-size column widths/row heights to match the display resolution they have. This is all a pretty big undertaking, honestly. So many factors to plan and account for.

I think the first release will be what you see on my screen. 10 items, vertical orientation. I'll add in other options (2-12 beers), layouts (vertical, horizontal, horizonal with two columns), beverage types (wine, kombucha, soda, tea), and metrics later (ABV, IBU, Price, Cost to Make, Tap Number, etc. etc.) in future releases.

I received a PM asking, and I'm sure it's probably on five other people's minds, so I'll lay it out here.

My vision for this is to make step-by-step instructions that are easy to follow. I will assume no programming or web design knowledge. We'll start with a parts list, build the hardware, install the operating system, download the project files, and finally customize.

However, for all this to work, I have to assume that some very basic computer skills are in place. Download a file. Move a file from location A to location B. Use a simple program. Needless to say, if you're on HBT, you almost certainly have these skills already.

The whole thing will hinge on how well you can follow instructions...

...I might have to make a website. This project just keeps getting bigger and bigger. :S

"But Honey, I just had to do it. It was worth it. My friends on HBT really appreciate the sacrifices you made the last three months."

I just got an RPi kit for Christmas, and was already thinking of doing the Kegerface project. Is your project based on this? (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3841) (sorry if I missed it if you are the same person, or if it was explained already)) In any case, I would love to see a step by step on this to avoid all the hurdles that are inevitable in something like this.

Very interested. Appreciate the time and effort you are putting into this for everyone.

I just got an RPi kit for Christmas, and was already thinking of doing the Kegerface project. Is your project based on this? (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3841) (sorry if I missed it if you are the same person, or if it was explained already)) In any case, I would love to see a step by step on this to avoid all the hurdles that are inevitable in something like this.

Based on, yes. However, I've already added quite a bit to it. Massive fixes to his CSS, some re-arranging of his CSV file for readability, and massive image work. For example, before there were only 9 color images and 4 hops images. Now there's 40 different colors and 100 IBU levels. The images were also super oversided and unoptimized, so I did that too.

I had wanted to base off the Hymaswood branch of the Kegerface project. However, I got pissed off at phpMyAdmin and MySQL about half way through and scrapped that version. I'll probably have to migrate back that direction. I also plan to do massive additions to his PHP code, as it's merely echos at this point. Not a whole lot more useful than includes, really.

I'd like to get this packaged up with all of the dependencies listed in the package. That way, you could do a single apt-get for the package, and it would install everything you need instead of spending hours setting up each install individually. Also, you could walk away while it as doing it.

Based on, yes. However, I've already added quite a bit to it. Massive fixes to his CSS, some re-arranging of his CSV file for readability, and massive image work. For example, before there were only 9 color images and 4 hops images. Now there's 40 different colors and 100 IBU levels. The images were also super oversided and unoptimized, so I did that too.

Ok. I am super stoked to see what you put together then. I had looked at the initial codebase a while ago, and as a web programmer I did not look forward to all the stuff I would feel obligated to tweak/fix/correct/upgrade. Sign me up as one of the interested peeps looking forward to seeing what you gather together!

Very interested indeed. Currently I have a 13 cuft freezer with just picnic taps, my 2014 New Years resolution is to construct a real keezer.

Ok. I am super stoked to see what you put together then. I had looked at the initial codebase a while ago, and as a web programmer I did not look forward to all the stuff I would feel obligated to tweak/fix/correct/upgrade. Sign me up as one of the interested peeps looking forward to seeing what you gather together!

Trying!

Biggest hurdle right now is fixing the image cropping, replacing all of the misused ID's with classes, and weaning it off of all the manual margins/padding.

I'm totally interested in this. As a designer (furniture, architecture, etc.), I think something totally clean (even cleaner than Digital Pour) would be pretty sick.

If you have a Windows PC and not a Mac, check out BeoPlayer (Bang and Olufsen's version of iTunes). It is just clean and sleek. Black, grey, white and red.

Just a thought. I don't know how to do programming/coding, but I can do Illustrator/Photoshop design of what the interface could look like.

Just looked at BeoPlayer in Google Images.

Ehh... super minimalist. The text is so small, I doubt even I could read it standing at the tap handles with 20/15 vision. Tons of unused space.

Ideally, I'd like to offer several themes. I don't think this style would be something I'd provide. However, I'm also coding in a way as to provide complete flexibility over font and color schemes with minimal effort, so one could markup their own if they didn't like what came out-of-the-box, so to speak. Or share their markup with others.

Just looked at BeoPlayer in Google Images.

Ehh... super minimalist. The text is so small, I doubt even I could read it standing at the tap handles with 20/15 vision. Tons of unused space.

So, just like Digital Pour, KegBot, etc., BeoPlayer is a seed for an idea. I wouldn't make BeoPlayer just like it is if I was the one making it, but I do think that most websites, apps, digital design, etc., are WAY too busy. Minimalist is actually what I like about it. I also have 20/15 vision (20/13 in one eye), and I can see it fine on my computer, but of course, you wouldn't make the print that small if you are standing 3 feet away from it. :eek:

I just think a minimalist interface would be pretty sweet. Instead of hop shaped indicators...just circles with green lights. Obviously, it's not for everyone. The masses prefer bells and whistles and tons of sh*t you don't need. Thus, why I prefer NAD electronics over Sony, etc. I also listen to a ton of music on a minimal, belt-driven turntable. Haha. :rockin:

It was just a thought...

So, just like Digital Pour, KegBot, etc., BeoPlayer is a seed for an idea. I wouldn't make BeoPlayer just like it is if I was the one making it, but I do think that most websites, apps, digital design, etc., are WAY too busy. Minimalist is actually what I like about it. I also have 20/15 vision (20/13 in one eye), and I can see it fine on my computer, but of course, you wouldn't make the print that small if you are standing 3 feet away from it. :eek:

I just think a minimalist interface would be pretty sweet. Instead of hop shaped indicators...just circles with green lights. Obviously, it's not for everyone. The masses prefer bells and whistles and tons of sh*t you don't need. Thus, why I prefer NAD electronics over Sony, etc. I also listen to a ton of music on a minimal, belt-driven turntable. Haha. :rockin:

It was just a thought...

You'll be able to change the fonts faces, sizes, colors, etc. You'll be able to overwrite the infographic images with ones you prefer. You'll be able to turn most columns off. You'll be able to change the background image or replace with a solid color.

Removing or disabling content is pretty easy. Adding new content is a PITA. That's why I'm trying to present as much data on the default as possible on the default layout.

My misunderstanding. I thought there was just going to be a few premade layouts for us non-programming newbs.

Sounds great. Not sure if there is anything you need from us in the forum, but I'd volunteer for whatever I can help with.

:-D

My misunderstanding. I thought there was just going to be a few premade layouts for us non-programming newbs.

Sounds great. Not sure if there is anything you need from us in the forum, but I'd volunteer for whatever I can help with.

:-D

There will be. I just don't feel like I could do minimalist justice. I have no sense of flow and balance, and I just don't get it.

Layouts will revolve around x number of beers displayed, horiz vs vert vs horiz two column, etc.

I think you're more into the realm of skinning.

Just bought 10 of those swissflow flow meters from eBay.

Now you have to follow through with this!

:eek:

I really want it to work and will be trying my damnedst, but I can't even guarantee I'll eat dinner tonight, let alone that these things will work.

Subscribed and this is awesome, I want to make a new/better kegerator and this would be a nice addition to it

Plugging away at the images for about 6 hours now. Most of it is trying to standardize and move away from manual padding each image based on aspect.

Getting pretty good at batch editing images with BIMP. One I get them created, I can resize and convert images in batches of >100 at a time. Take ~15 seconds now that I'm getting the hang of it. Before was a manual process to update 100 images at a time. -.-

Adding a couple more metrics. Hope to have a teaser screenshot posted this evening.

For anybody on the fence...

If you're worried about changing your mind, being unable to complete the project, or scared you might not have the skills, fear not*. Worst case, you can always re-image the Raspberry Pi to RaspBMC (XBMC port) in a matter of minutes. This is a fully fledged media center that turns your TV into a Smart TV with digital media playback, library functionality and sharing.

http://xbmc.org/about/
http://www.raspbmc.com/about/

raspbmc.jpg

XBMC_home.jpg

XBMC-Media-Center-3.png

Xbmc_remote_win8_home_moviedetails.png

There will be. I just don't feel like I could do minimalist justice. I have no sense of flow and balance, and I just don't get it.

Layouts will revolve around x number of beers displayed, horiz vs vert vs horiz two column, etc.

I think you're more into the realm of skinning.

:eek:

I really want it to work and will be trying my damnedst, but I can't even guarantee I'll eat dinner tonight, let alone that these things will work.

I'm not too worried, I got a great price and can probably resell if needs be. Thanks for all the hard work, by the way. If there is anything I can do help, don't hesitate.

damn you people... seriously... why the hell do you have to start badass projects like this... I mean seriously WTF.

you make me want to spend my money.... im a very impulsive person....

but im in on this for sure. SUBSCRIBED

I had a spare lcd monitor I was wondering what to do with...

SENT FROM: my nook HD+// CM11+Android KITKAT

Alright, spent 10 hours on this damn thing today. Mostly designing the graphics. I'm certainly not a graphic designer, so it took me what felt like forever just to crank out a few images.

rlbyksl.png

I say a few, but in there's really a lot of them. 32 SRM images, 102 IBU images, 42 ABV images, and 22 keg images. I swapped in the Fireside Barleywine to showcase 2 of them. The keg levels are not live, and they probably need re-working once I figure out how I want to capture and store the meter levels. That's a whole 'nother beast.

Trying to fix as much of this spaghetti code as I can. Ran the CSS and PHP thru validators and identified several hundred bad spots. Most of them are the fact that CSS ID's are being used for multiple objects, where they really should be converted to classes instead.

I expect no code updates until the weekend.

Definitely Following this thread. My brew controller is arduino, why not the tap as well.

Did you offer the guy on ebay $20? He's not getting back to me on my offer.

I offered $15 last night, I had a reply waiting for when I checked my email this morning. He said $20, I replied with $17.50 and he responded immediately with $18. I had a tracking number within the hour. I believe he has 48 hours to respond, per eBay rules.

I offered $15 last night, I had a reply waiting for when I checked my email this morning. He said $20, I replied with $17.50 and he responded immediately with $18. I had a tracking number within the hour. I believe he has 48 hours to respond, per eBay rules.

He has 48 hours (maybe 72?) or it auto-rejects your offer.

I get offers all the time on items I'm selling. If I don't like them, I don't respond. Once your respond, you'll always always always get a counter-counter-offer. -.-

It already exists, its called Digital Pour

http://digitalpour.com/

Many breweries and tap houses in Oregon use it if they have a lot on tap. As mentioned Baileys Taproom in Portland uses it, as well as Orenco Taphouse in Hillsboro. For example both of those places use it on a big probably 55-60" LCD TV mounted above the bar.

image002-e1312243714599.jpg

None of the local places here have more than a Chalkboard... :eek:

Back