feeding mixed culture starter with hoppy wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I have a gallon of beer that was started with a pitch of Roselare and has seen numerous bottle dregs since. It has a twin that has been pitched into a larger batch, but this one has been sitting and biding it's time. I recently made a batch of saison and used a half gallon of that batch to replace some of the starter since it hadn't been fed properly in over a year.
The saison was hopped to about 40ish BU's and I racked a little sloppy and pulled some hop matter over as well.
Will the bacteria in the starter be affected permanently by this harsh environment or will it bounce back when used to inoculate a less hoppy beer?
I'm kind of hoping this gallon will lead to a more pronounced brett character in the future. Also hoping the lineage of the other 'twin' will be more geared towards acid beers. Whaddaya think?

Remember the mixture is the average bitterness of the different parts, so maybe 25 IBU?
I would guess the hop matter isn't too much of a concern at this point since most of the soluble compounds will have diffused out already. Regardless, Brett won't mind hops and Pedio is pretty adaptable.

For a new sour batch it's not a bad idea to pitch fresh Lacto & Sacc since they tend to die off when not fed.

Back