Feedback on Sour brown ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrenum

Reaction score
Good evening

Good day mate!

I am planning to brew a brown sour beer that would be a base should I want to do different versions using ingredients in secondary fermentation. I am thinking of sour cherries, raspberries and blackberries. May be also sea buckthorn, spruce tips, etc. or simply age it as a Oud Bruin.

As you can see I am first and foremost looking to get a solid base beer. I have built this recipe by analyzing multiple recipes from American Sour Book form Michael.

I would love to get feedback on this one. The plan is to do a kettle sour. I have a starter of Lactobacillus that I did from Probiotic and used in a previous batch. It soured the beer nicely; no off-flavour. I kept a gallon of the deposit that accumulated in the fermenters after 3 days of souring and planning on using this as a starter for this brew.

(75.0%) Superior Pale Ale Malt; Canada Malting

(8.3%) White Wheat; Rahr

(5.8%) Oats Raw

(4.2%) Victory® Malt; Briess

(3.3%) Roasted Barley

(2.5%) Caramunich® TYPE I; Weyermann

(0.8%) Carafa® TYPE II; Weyermann

Obviously I will have no hops in the 15 minutes boil prior to souring the beer and will add hops once it is soured in the second boil. I won't have more than 18 IBU however.

Thanks for your feedback

Back