Feedback on Pumpkin Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbc5

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some feedback on a Pumpkin Stout recipe I am designing. I encourage any and all feedback. Thanks in advance.

OG: 1.083
IBU: 37.7
SRM: 35
Efficiency: 75%

11 lbs American Two-row Pale
1 lb 8 oz Munich Malt
1 lb Biscuit
8 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Crystal 120
8 oz Chocolate

2 oz Challenger (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (20 min)

.5 tsp Allspice (15 min)
.5 tsp Nutmeg (15 min)
1 tsp Cinnamon (15 min)
8 lbs Canned Pumpkin (15 min)

US S-05 Dry Yeast

In Secondary
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp whole cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp all spice

I'm specifically curious about a few points.

1) What do you guys think about the ratio of chocolate, crystal, and roasted barley? I'm also toying around with 12 oz of chocolate, 8 oz of crystal, and 8 oz of roasted barley.

2) What are your thoughts on the hop amounts/schedule?

3) What do you guys think about the amount of pumpkin? I want something that will be perceptible through the roasted character and sweetness, but am toying with backing the amount down to about 5 or 6 lbs.

After thinking about it a bit more, and doing some additional reading, I'm thinking I'll go with 12 oz of Chocolate, and 8 oz of Crystal and Roasted Barley instead of 8 oz of each (unless anyone would recommend against this). Still interested in feedback on the other items, or any other comments people might have.

Really, the "pumpkin" flavor comes from the spices. I would think that at most you would only have to use 2 of the large cans of Libby's Pumpkin.

Let me know how it turns out, I've been toying with the idea of brewing a darker pumpkin ale this year (I'm waiting to brew until mid-spetember so it will actually last through the fall. :p).

1) I'd go on the paler end of the stout spectrum, so as not to cover up the spices. Biscuit an excellent choice IMO.
2) I'd bitter only, for the same reason. But any earthy/noble hop should be fine as a flavoring addition.
3) Open up a can of pumpkin and try a spoonful. Doesn't taste very pumpkin-esque. More like baby food. About all the pumpkin will add is body via unfermentable fiber. Makes a mean cheesecake though.
4) I think the spices will come through better if they're made into a tea at 180F or soaked in vodka while the beer ferments.

Back