Feedback on my IPA please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickLazy

Reaction score
Hi all!
Im trying to make my first very own IPA recipe and would like some feedback and tips.
The style Im heading for would be very tropical fruity, with good strong bitter. Boulevards Single-Wide would be one of my favorite beers, and going that way would be nice.

Specs: (done with BF)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP001
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 61.53
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 10.65 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 68F 20c
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 68F 20c

12. lbs/ 5.5 Kg 2 row
8.8 oz/0.25 Kg Caramel/crystal 15L
8.8 oz/ 0.25 Kg munich-light 10L

mashed at 151 for 60 minutes
batch sparged

0.4 oz/ 13 g chinook @ FWH
0.4 oz/ 13 g columbus @ FWH
0.4 oz/ 13 g Simcoe @ 60
0.4 oz/ 13 g Centennial @ 60
0.4 oz/ 13 g Citra @ 15
0.3 oz/ 10 g Citra @ 1
0.3 oz/ 10 g Simcoe @ 1
1 oz/ 28 g Citra 7 days dry hop
1 oz/ 28 g Simcoe 7 days dry hop

I have put some (not much) thought on the hop schedule. What i have read is that citra and simcoe should bring good tropical fruit to taste so Im going to add those a lot more.
I would apreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Nick

If you are indeed planning on using WLP001 (a liquid yeast), then you should definitely make a starter, especially with such a high starting gravity. Alternatively, you could just use dry yeast (Fermentis US-05 is the same strain), just make sure you rehydrate it according to the manufacturers' directions first.

Regarding the hop schedule, your 60-minute additions of Simcoe and Centennial are a total waste. Get your bitterness from your Chinook and Columbus FWH additions, save the Simcoe and Centennial for later additions so you will preserve some of their actual flavour. Adding them at 60-minutes will only add more bitterness, and they'll lose all of their flavour contributions. There are cheaper ways to get your IBUs, don't waste such nice hops just for bitterness.

I'd go with at least 1 full ounce each of Simcoe and Centennial at flame out. 2 oz each wouldn't be unreasonable.

Thanks! Thats what I was looking for! Im not familiar with wlp001, but I run in to it everytime I read IPA recipes. US-05 looks like a good option. Those 60 mins were there to get more IBU´s. So might up the dosage on the FWH? I think I have some old magnum I could use for bittering.

Perfect. Magnum is an ideal choice for bittering. I would definitely go with that. And yes, US-05 is a nice, neutral yeast for an IPA like this. Try and hold the temperature of the fermenting beer as close to 65° F as you can.

If you are indeed planning on using WLP001 (a liquid yeast), then you should definitely make a starter, especially with such a high starting gravity. Alternatively, you could just use dry yeast (Fermentis US-05 is the same strain), just make sure you rehydrate it according to the manufacturers' directions first.

Regarding the hop schedule, your 60-minute additions of Simcoe and Centennial are a total waste. Get your bitterness from your Chinook and Columbus FWH additions, save the Simcoe and Centennial for later additions so you will preserve some of their actual flavour. Adding them at 60-minutes will only add more bitterness, and they'll lose all of their flavour contributions. There are cheaper ways to get your IBUs, don't waste such nice hops just for bitterness.

I'd go with at least 1 full ounce each of Simcoe and Centennial at flame out. 2 oz each wouldn't be unreasonable.

Perfect. Magnum is an ideal choice for bittering. I would definitely go with that. And yes, US-05 is a nice, neutral yeast for an IPA like this. Try and hold the temperature of the fermenting beer as close to 65° F as you can.

+1 to all of this:mug: nothing left to add.

I just cannot tell from what I see here. Not enough to work with

Send me a few bottles after you make it and I will get back with you.....

Back