Feedback on my conversion from AG to PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfX

Reaction score
I've been wanting to pull the trigger and switch to all-grain, but have decided to take the intermittent and cheaper (for now) step of partial mashing. I wanted to convert a recipe that I brewed using extract but was originally an all grain recipe.

I used Beersmith to convert the original AG to PM but ultimately ended up tweaking the result quite a bit because Beersmith wanted to substitute LME for all the malt, including the crystal. I figured that It'd be best to just substitute LME for the base malt (not sure why, i just thought this sounded better)

Below is my conversion, any feedback would be great:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.54 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.86 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: - SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

All Grain:
3 lbs 8.9 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 10.3 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs 4.1 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
3.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
3.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)

Partial Mash:
10.4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
3.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
3.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
2 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)

It looks like you did it correctly if you have figured the gravity for your efficiency. Basically you want to keep all the specialty malts the same and replace whatever base malt you can't fit with the appropriate extract (I assume the MO/Munich slight difference is just based on what you have on hand, shouldn't really change the overall character much with that small difference). I love Beersmith, and for batch-size scaling it seems to work okay, but converting between extract/PM/all grain I prefer to do by hand.

I may have a bit of OCD because I kept tweaking it until I got nice round numbers while keeping the same OG.

I have no idea what my efficiency is going to be, so I just left it at like 70%. My thinking is that if I come up short on my pre-boil gravity I'll just bump it up with a bit more LME. If i'm too high i'll just add a little more water and re-calculate my hop additions.

Alright, I'll give this a shot. What's the worst that can happen right??

Thanks!

This is easy.

Your mash:

1 lbs 10.3 oz Maris Otter
1 lbs 4.1 oz Munich
3.8 oz Crystal 20L
3.8 oz Crystal 80L

The mash temp. should be lower than the stated value in the All Grain version, since the Extract will help to balance things out.

Finish with Briess Golden Light DME or Muntons Extra Light DME and finally, about 4-5% corn sugar to hit your OG. If you can mash more, then incorporate some Great Western 2-row into the mash and cut down on the DME.

I would not recommend Liquid Extract.

bobbrews, can you please give some insight on how you came up with these numbers and why? Also, is there something specific you don't like about LME or do you have the normal reservations about freshness, color etc.? Also, what will the corn sugar provide (besides more fermentables)?

I'll be honest, I usually brew with DME but because this (originally) called for an odd amount of DME I decided to use LME since I can only get DME in 1lb and 3lb bags and didn't want to have too much leftovers. Also, LME is considerably cheaper.

bobbrews, can you please give some insight on how you came up with these numbers and why?

Because you would essentially be duplicating the Maris Otter and Munich in the All Grain version to ensure a very similar character. And then adding enough DME (which is essentially 2-row) with brewing software to hit your target OG. The Crystal malts are unchanged.

If you can mash more than 3 lbs. of grain, then I would consider mashing some of the 2-row as well. But if you can't, then just use DME to replace the 2-row entirely. Adding half of your DME at flameout will also help you to get a lighter color as well.

Also, is there something specific you don't like about LME or do you have the normal reservations about freshness, color etc.? Also, what will the corn sugar provide (besides more fermentables)?

I'll be honest, I usually brew with DME but because this (originally) called for an odd amount of DME I decided to use LME since I can only get DME in 1lb and 3lb bags and didn't want to have too much leftovers. Also, LME is considerably cheaper.

Substituting a portion of DME for corn sugar will aid with dryness. You don't simply add corn sugar to increase the fermentables. You swap it out for say 5-10% DME. An extract beer will likely finish at a different FG than it's All-Grain comparison. This is because an All-Grain brewer can control the mash temp for the entire grist. Figure that Briess or Muntons uses an average mash temp. of about 154 F to create their extract. It might even be higher.

I prefer DME for quality and shelf-life. LME beers always rub me the wrong way in terms of taste, and yes, color is a factor too.

I've been wanting to pull the trigger and switch to all-grain, but have decided to take the intermittent and cheaper (for now) step of partial mashing.

Not what you were asking, but why not give BIAB a try? It's all grain, and the only additional equipment you need is a bag. There's no need to spend a bunch of money to do all grain.

Latest posts

Back