feeback requested on wiring for recirculated, heated BIAB set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I’d like some feedback on this wiring system.

I run a 10 gallon recirculated BIAB with a PID controlled electric element to maintain mash temps. I recently had an issue with a stuck recirculation due to some unusual grain and had a bit of an overflow during the recirculated mash phase.

The beer came out fine but I don’t want another overflow instance.

Here is what I want – I have a float switch to monitor the upper level of the mash tun. I want the float switch to tell the pump when it can run to avoid overflows. I also want the heater to turn off when the pump is off so there is no overheating of wort around the element when the pump is off.

Here is the simple system I thought of to make this work. Note that the heating power is passed through two SSRs – one controlled by the float switch and the other by the PID. Do you think this is viable?

I will also put master switches on the pump and heater as well as an override switch on the pump so that I can control the pump without the need of a float switch after the mash. It is all 120v circuits.

Wiring for BIAB.jpg

Back