Federweisser beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello friends,

When I lived in southern Germany among the vineyards we would enjoy Federweisser wine every fall just as harvesting was finished; it is an actively fermenting white wine still sweet with sugars, served chilled and it has a pleasantly tart flavor from carbonic acid and is lightly effervescent. It got the name "Federweisser" or "feather white" because of the tiny white floccs of yeast swirling around in it like a snow globe. Oh, and it also already has 7-8% alcohol so it was a dangerously delicious drink. In our village it is traditionally served alongside "zwiebelkuchen" or onion cake during the annual Zwiebelfest.

Sometimes when I stare at my fermenter actively bubbling away, I wonder what it would taste like if I pulled a sample and chilled it? Would it taste sweet with a delightfully tart flavor similar to federweisser? I notice that Hefeweizen throws some luscious fruity banana aromas early in primary fermentation, would it not taste delicious? Just as with Federweisser there would be no way to bottle or store it to preserve the flavor qualities so it would have to be consumed pretty much immediately, but does this sound delicious to anyone else?

Last edited:
Interesting! I wonder if chilling it crashes the yeast out to some degree. When I’ve tasted beer in the midst of primary fermentation it’s very yeasty and fairly unpleasant (and far too sweet).

Back