Favourite recipes from Let's Brew/Austerity/Bitter! etc..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Boddingtons bitter recipes 1971 to 1980 have informed what is becoming a regular brew for me because it is a nice easy drinking low ABV beer that is quick, simple and cheap to brew. There is scope for variation because the fermentables changed in that decade, and hops varied. And 1318 is basically Whitbread yeast I think which may have been introduced into Boddingtons brewery during the late 70s or early 80s. The breweries previous yeast was multi strain and doesn't exist any more. I like trying different strains to see how the beer works with them. Ive got a batch split between 1318 and WLP005 to bottle today or tomorrow. I'm going to try WLP007 and London Fog next.

The simplest version and a good place to start is the 1980 version and Ron has two hop schedules, one for 20 ibu with fuggles and goldings and one for 32 ibu with northern brewer, bram x and goldings. I am a 32 ibu person! If you check out the 1971 or 1974 versions the fermentables are more varied.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2018/02/lets-brew-wednesday-1971-boddington-ip.html
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2021/02/lets-brew-wednesday-1980-boddington-ip.html

Last edited:
The Boddingtons bitter recipes 1971 to 1980 have informed what is becoming a regular brew for me because it is a nice easy drinking low ABV beer that is quick, simple and cheap to brew. There is scope for variation because the fermentables changed in that decade, and hops varied. And 1318 is basically Whitbread yeast I think which may have been introduced into Boddingtons brewery during the late 70s or early 80s. The breweries previous yeast was multi strain and doesn't exist any more. I like trying different strains to see how the beer works with them. Ive got a batch split between 1318 and WLP005 to bottle today or tomorrow. I'm going to try WLP007 and London Fog next.
That sounds interesting! Let us know how it goes!

Back