favorite yeast for a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BmillaTheBrewzilla

Reaction score
I haven't brewed a stout... but I'm really looking forward to taking on an oatmeal stout sometime soon. For those of you who regularly brew stouts, what's your favorite yeast? I'm leaning towards Wyeast 1099 - Whitbread Ale... just based on descriptions from the Wyeast website. Any input would be much appreciated.

For an oatmeal stout, you might want to give 1084 a try. It tends to leave a little diacetyl, which could help to accentuate the mouthfeel from the oats. I've also used 1028 and 1098. The yeast character probably won't be prominent, so you could use pretty much any English strain that's convenient for you.

My first stout I made with the Irish Ale yeast, and it was awesome. Totally recognizable as the Guinness taste. I make them now with US-05 because it's convenient and adequate, but I'd recommend the Irish Ale: Wyeast 1084/ White Labs 004

I haven't brewed a whole lot of stouts, but my favorite was White labs WLP004. Safale S-04 is a close second. Any Irish or English ale yeast should work pretty well. I don't particularly like American ale yeasts for stouts, but that might just be me.

I haven't brewed a whole lot of stouts, but my favorite was White labs WLP004. Safale S-04 is a close second. Any Irish or English ale yeast should work pretty well. I don't particularly like American ale yeasts for stouts, but that might just be me.

+1 on the s-04, i use it religously in stouts and porters

Yet another candidate...Wyeast 1318 (London Ale III). I've used this in several stouts, porters, and an amber ale. It's just as Wyeast advertises, smooth, a bit sweet, and when fermented above 70 a bit fruity, but in a delicate way. I love it. I think it mixes particularly well with the slick mouthfeel of oats and even more so if you like your stouts/porters a little heavy on the chocolate malt like I do.

IMO, US-05 and Nottingham are good yeasts for stouts. I think you want the malts to dominate, good clean yeasts and low hopping rates accomplish that.

Wow- lots of good recommendations. I've never used anything but Wyeast (because of the wide selection at my LHBS)... but I'm tempted to try a White Labs or Safale yeast. It's also interesting that Nottingham came up... reading around here I've noticed that it gets recommended for just about everything. I may have to check that out for its versatility.

I also have some washed British Ale - 1098 from a recent batch. Seems like that would work well too, since it is another pretty clean, neutral yeast.

For American style stouts, I prefer Pacman. US-05 is fine, though it doesn't provide enough malt backbone for my tastes. Love wy1968, 1187 and 1338 for english/oatmeal/sweet stouts.

I hate s-04, but its pretty popular.

I like pacman. I made a cream stout recently and it really brought out the maltyness of it. I hear Denny's 50 is also good.

Anyone have any thoughts on wlp013 London Ale yeast? Im doing a stout with this tomorrow.

I recently used Thames Valley 1275 on an Oatmeal Stout, came out somewhat dry with a very nice, clean finish.

Next time I intend to try the London III.

White Labs Dry English Ale WLP007 for my Foreign Extra Stout. I tried S-04 with it, although I did change Black Barley and Chocolate Malt to 1/2lb each (was 3/4, 1/4), and it was just ok. With the original grain bill and yeast it is amazing.

British Ale 1098 from Wyeast is the closest to the Dry English Ale from White Labs.

Latest posts

Back