Favorite mash tun setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangebrew14

Reaction score
Hello awesome HBT people! I'm sure this has been asked but I am ready to build my mash tun and wondered what people favorite setup is..I'm stuck between the class 10 gal or bigger cooler or turning a keg into a tun with a insulation vest on it? Currently have about 5 BIAB batches under my belt and may start doing 10 gallon batches. Let me know your thoughts and help out an excited newb to make the right choice. Personally leaning towards the keg as my dream is eventually to build a single tier with 3 kegs but that's down the road..thanks as always for the great insight!

Can't really comment on other systems. I prefer more, smaller batches of different styles over large amounts of one style. I use a 10 gallon Rubbermaid water cooler with a water heater braid on a cooler valve kit from Northern Brewer. About 40 batches with no real issues. It is a gravity system. I decided against a single tier system because of the $$ for at least one pump.

I use pretty much the same setup as kh54s10, though i bought a steel manifold screen thing from NB. I used to have the water heater braid on a different cooler, but i find that this screen from NB is alot easier to clean. The 10 g cooler keeps its heat really well and was quite affordable from the h depot. I am going to stick with this size because i too like doing smaller batches and i keg in 5 gal kegs.

If you are serious about doing 10 gal batches, i would go for the keg tun.

But, IMO, if that is going to be your first piece to start brewing 10 g i would much rather have a slick ass larger brew kettle first! or turn that keg into a keggle?

Use your current pot if it is large enough and a paint stainer bag or a custom fitted bag from Wilserbrewer. You can learn the ins and outs of all grain with very little investment of equipment and then it you want to go to a conventional mash tun you'll know the process and have a better idea of what will work in your environment. Look up BIAB.

Personally leaning towards the keg as my dream is eventually to build a single tier with 3 kegs but that's down the road..thanks as always for the great insight!

Sorry, just my opinion, but I can't understand the love of keggles, for me they are too damn heavy and ill-shaped for a brew pot. Perhaps with the top completely removed, and used CIP I could get over the shortcomings. They are economical, and will last thousand years of abuse....I guess people feel they look cool, well maybe after they spend 3 days and $$$ polishing them.

$100 gets you a nice shiny Concord kettle w/ lid delivered to your door FWIW.

All that said, I think you will find a cooler much easier to keep a steady temp, unless you have a means to add heat.

Can't say which is my favorite, but I used a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler for several years with no problems. I am in the process of upgrading to a keggle MLT mainly because I want S/S and I can do bigger batches.

Back