Favorite Fall Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoHotel

Reaction score
I'm starting to look towards my fall brew schedule and I think I should let the wonderful people at the HBT forums determine what I should make. I have plans for a Wee Heavy, but I'd like some more inspiration. HBT, here's the wheel. You drive!

I dig a smoked beer in the fall- Rauchbier or maybe a smoked brown a la Tumbler. Also, got to have a marzen or three. Dark lagers are excellent as well.

Edit: oops, you said ales. Definitely a smoked brown ale. How about barleywine or strong/old ale? You could get one going now and have it nice and aged by fall.

I was thinking of finishing the tweaks on an American rauchbeir I've been tinkering with. Beersmith will help,but gotta study it more. Maybe even try a porter version of my Whiskeley Ale. I do have that free issue of Best of BYO 250 Classic Clone Recipes magazine. Have to look at the porters...

My September lineup will be an altbier, followed by a doublealt. October probably a porter followed by a Scottish 70 or maybe wee heavy. Then when fresh cider is available, I'll do a batch of that- probably turn it into a Graf this year. Then November is when I do my Oktoberfest and this year I'll probably back it with a doppelbock. That's my plan at this point. Certainly may change......

My favorite time of year. I always brew up a batch of pumpkin ale/porter. If I don't do my pumpkin porter this year I think ill be blocked from attending thanksgiving at both my house as well as my inlaws.

Harvest ales. Fresh hopped IPA's, wild blackberry hefeweizen, etc. Then lots of browns and scotch ales.

Back