Favorite Extract Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D0ug

Reaction score
Does any one have an extract recipe they feel strongly enough about to recommend?

I'm thinking about whats next and I'm not to concerned about having everything set out in a kit, I can't help fooling with them a little anyway.

What's a few more pounds of DME gonna hurt? ;)

I saw the Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale had a recipe converted to extract, and it seems like people on different forums have been enjoying it, :tank: so that's on my list.

Are there any others that stand out?

heres my fav extract recipe, its a little pricey as you have to use a little more hops than usual since its such a small time boiled but turns out great.

I sub cascade for the amarillo since i always have 2 to 3 pounds of cascade in my freezer at all times.

It also makes for a very fast and simple brew day

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=15-minute-amarillo-ale

Wow! Thanks folks! I had given up on this post.

Gropo, I used to prefer the maltier end of the spectrum, but after having my taste buds savaged by a Magic Hat IPA (just like sucking on a teabag, I swear!), I've become largely impervious to hop presence in most other offerings. I guess I should thank them for expanding my palate, though I didn't feel that way at the time.

Now I'm willing to try anything once. I'm also brewing to help provide beers for the regular Friday night game I hast in my basement, and some of the guys are definitely hop heads. We are all fairly adventurous when it comes to trying new styles too, so I'm even more open to trying different recipes out side of my comfort zone.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. happy brewing! :mug:

Here is my recipe for a Scottish Strong Ale.

3 lb Amber DME
4 lb Light DME
1 lb Carmel 75 L
2 oz Chocolate
2 oz Black Patent
4 oz Roasted Malt
2 tsp Gypsum
3 oz Fuggles 2 @ 60 ½ @ 30 ½ @ 10
1 Tbs Irish Moss @ 10
Irish Ale Yeast
3/4 c Dextrose & 1 tsp ascorbic acid @ bottling

Fermented at 74-75 degrees 5 Days
Secondary at 58-62 degrees 2 Weeks
Bottled conditioned for 4 1/2 weeks at time of judging and took 2nd place over all at the Kansas City Irish Fest - Homebrewing Competition. It was not a big contest by any stretch of the imagination, but it proves that it's at least a palatable beer!

OG 1.070
FG 1.022

If you try it, let me know if you like how it turns out!

~Mike

Thanks Mike, can't wait to try it! Have to wait for the basement to cool off a little more with the winter freeze :)

Best brew I've made IMO is the Bridgeport IPA clone from Beer Captured. The dry hopping absolutely made the beer. I'm about to do it again but ag.

Back