Favorite bottles for HB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
I'm trying to think of the best bottle to get the best beer. I stored a bunch of 24oz SN bottles but you get so much sediment in the refill. I don't like 12oz because after you leave a oz or 2 it's a pretty small beer unless it's a IIPA or barley wine.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425132547.060321.jpg

This is what I'm trying to switch over to. Pretty good beer. Labels fall right off in a soak and its 16.9 oz so you get a full pint.

What bottles do you prefer?

I use 12oz bottles, but I strain the wort into the FV & give it time to settle well before bottling. Letting it settle well before racking to the bottling bucket is key to getting less trub in the bottles. Plus chilling well for 5-7 days will compact the sediment on the bottom, allowing more clear beer to be poured off.
Having said that, I like German bottles the most, as their lip design seems to make for a tighter seal. But here's a list of bottles I like to use that have easily removable labels;
Paulaner
Franziskaner
Wernesgruner
Victory
Troegs
Deschutes
Magic Hat
Dog Fish Head
Sam Adams (logo cast in glass though)
Bells (logo in glass)
Left Hand Brewing
New Belgium
Michelob (logo in glass)
And many more craft beers with plain bottles & easily removable labels. These are just a few I can think of off hand.

Free is for me. So, any old Amber bottle works. I don't bottle much and when I do, it's typically out of a carbonated keg so no worries of yeasties.

Free is for me. So, any old Amber bottle works. I don't bottle much and when I do, it's typically out of a carbonated keg so no worries of yeasties.

Yeah, that's how I am. I don't really care about the bottle as long as it's American and brown.

Most of my 12 ounce bottles have been pre-filled by New Glarus. New twenty-two ounce bottles ordered from Freund, before the price increases, for session beers. For the more highly carbonated beers, thirty to forty year old German pints. For high carbed session beers one liter swing tops, pre-filled from Howes Sound Brewery. Howes Sound bottles are heavy and meant to be refilled, not recycled.

More time in the primary means less sediment in the bottle.

Grolsch swing-tops, especially the old brown ones.
otherwise, the finnish "stubby" basic bottle that all companies here use. bonus points, the labels drop off after 10 mins in plain warm water.

I really want to keg. My 100 year old wiring throws a fuse everytime we run 2 window AC units so it's not an option to get a kegerator. Not unless I want to keep the wife happy.

I respect your decision, but in the end I chose draught beer over women.

#confirmedbachelor

Love,

Kelso

Back