Favorite Board Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have someone that you game with frequently?

I don't a whole lot anymore, but I play with one of my old college buddies every time he comes to visit. I don't actually own any board games, but he literally drives around with a trunk full of them at all times.

He's an insufferable smug asshoke to play with. But seeing him die a little on the inside on the occasions that I win make it all worth it. And the smug generally makes it easy to convince others to gang up on him, which is always fun.

I don't care. I laughed my ass off while I was typing Wrath of Ashartdemon. You guys have no funny.
Also, staying as far away from FIL as possible.

Lulz. Didn't even catch that one.

I don't care. I laughed my ass off while I was typing Wrath of Ashartdemon. You guys have no funny.
Also, staying as far away from FIL as possible.

I lol'd.

Why? Wouldn't it feel nice to throw a grenade through a window and blow up half his squad?

Why? Wouldn't it feel nice to throw a grenade through a window and blow up half his squad?

Yeah. If I had a week to explain to him the rules. Why the buildings are flat. Why there are aliens. Why I don't like him spitting his chewspit on the deck. What the numbers mean on the cards. Etc.

I get enough enjoyment out of the half hour each visit where he decides he's practiced enough and can kill me in Call of Duty.

Yeah. If I had a week to explain to him the rules. Why the buildings are flat. Why there are aliens. Why I don't like him spitting his chewspit on the deck. What the numbers mean on the cards. Etc.

I get enough enjoyment out of the half hour each visit where he decides he's practiced enough and can kill me in Call of Duty.

Oh, so then you screen lurk the entire time and buy him a one-way ticket on the pain train?

Real cool, CAD.

Real cool, CAD.

Usually just a knife. Clown around, run past his screen point blank a few times, stand up real slow in front of his scope... he hasn't played the new one yet. I'll make it quick. Burn everything with flamethrower and call it a day.

Might just get that D&D game and go home early for a 4 person game since all my brothers will be home. That should be a shirtshow.

Usually just a knife. Clown around, run past his screen point blank a few times, stand up real slow in front of his scope... he hasn't played the new one yet. I'll make it quick. Burn everything with flamethrower and call it a day.

Might just get that D&D game and go home early for a 4 person game since all my brothers will be home. That should be a shirtshow.

I'll have my phone on so you can call if you need any rules clarifications mid-game.

First game, I bet you guys make it 5 turns before you're all dead.

I'll have my phone on so you can call if you need any rules clarifications mid-game.

First game, I bet you guys make it 5 turns before you're all dead.

Sure you want that phone call?

"Brother #1 called brother #2 a smelly dwarf turd, then brother #3 punched brother #1 for being a nerfherder and I had to tell mom on them to get them all to settle down and play the game right... do I draw a card now?"

Sure you want that phone call?

"Brother #1 called brother #2 a smelly dwarf turd, then brother #3 punched brother #1 for being a nerfherder and I had to tell mom on them to get them all to settle down and play the game right... do I draw a card now?"

Only if brother #4 is putting his finger really close to brother #3 and repeatedly telling him "I'm not touching you" but it's like, really suuuuuuper close.

Only if brother #4 is putting his finger really close to brother #3 and repeatedly telling him "I'm not touching you" but it's like, really suuuuuuper close.

Well I'm obviously brother #4 in that situation even though I am actually brother #1 if we're being serious here... which I am. I usually reserve the NTY game for my mom when she's bugging us with questions like, "what do you want for dinner?" and she doesn't take pizza for an answer.

These days I play the old standard games like Monopoly, Clue, Sorry. When I get together with my brothers and sisters we play trivial pursuit. But way back when, in college, I played the hell out of a game called Dark Tower. I wish I could find a working one that wasn't $300 or more, cuz if I paid that much I would never play it for fear of breaking it.

Anyone else play Dark Tower?

Brew day is usually game day as well. My favorites are:
Settler of Catan (w Cities & Knights)
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
DC Deck Builder
and Cribbage

Just played Catan with the Traders and Barbarians expansion, with my boys (9 1/2 and 8) the other day - liked the variations from T&B. May have to check out some of those other euro games you've got on your list too - heard good stuff about them. Wouldn't mind a deck-building card game (is it deck-building) as long as you aren't seeking out packs in the store to get the random rare card.

Euro games have never really held my interest. Too much going on in the way of economic strategy. I still like to try them out for a play or two to see what the mechanics are all about, but end up picking Ameritrash every time if I have the choice.

Just played Catan with the Traders and Barbarians expansion, with my boys (9 1/2 and 8) the other day - liked the variations from T&B. May have to check out some of those other euro games you've got on your list too - heard good stuff about them. Wouldn't mind a deck-building card game (is it deck-building) as long as you aren't seeking out packs in the store to get the random rare card.

Yeah, Deck-building games are self-contained, not like a CCG. Dominion and the DC Deckbuilders are my favorites but the Street Fighter, Lord of the Rings, and Marvel deck-building games are pretty fun.

I also play casual Magic the Gathering so every so often, brew day turns into EDH day.

I've been playing tablet versions of Life and Monopoly with my son.

Been looking for my old Pente set so we can play that together now that he's old enough to not try to steal the gems.

I've got a closet full, some of the more popular euro games (Settlers, Carcasonne...one of the Dominion expansions, but not Dominion...), lot of strategy games..Risk, Axis & Allies, a full collection of chess boards (I think around 13 right now), Khet, plus a full assortment of card games.

For the most part, my family does not play games that involve thinking - they prefer party games. My nephew will be a gamer, but he's not quite ready to dedicate himself to following the rules of a more complex game -- we might try some of my new purchases over Easter and see. And so far, I haven't found any friends here that are into gaming much at all, either - unless you count Cards Against Humanity.

Anyone play Chess? I like to play against a real person... but can't get into the computer ones for some reason.

Never play checkers... used to play with my grandpa a lot, haven't since.

Oh well. Also, do they make Chinese chess?

Anyone play Chess? I like to play against a real person... but can't get into the computer ones for some reason.

Only person I ever beat was a drunk Architecture Studio TA. Battle Chess was cool. We had it on our first computer.

Never play checkers... used to play with my grandpa a lot, haven't since.

Oh well. Also, do they make Chinese chess?

You should try mail-chess.

All the riveting tactical action of regular chess, but at the breakneck speed of watching paint dry.

but at the breakneck speed of watching paint dry.

Speaking of watching paint dry... I've recently taken my nerdiness to extremes the likes of which I had never thought possible.

Decided that the 42 miniatures from my D&D Wrath of Ashartdemon board game were boring without any paint on them. I've started to work towards fixing this issue and have gone full on '40-year-old-virgin' in the process.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, I think they are turning out awesome. Relaxing too.

Snakes (red one in first pic is to show the unpainted mini):

pic2946561_md.jpg

pic2947747_md.jpg

pic2949079_md.jpg

Bears:

pic2951095_md.jpg

pic2951098_md.jpg

Next up, Duergar Guards:

IMG_2887.JPG

Would be interested to know if anyone here does this... but I'm thinking I might be in the minority here. Kind of sad when this sounds more fun than going out on a Friday night.

Kids and old do strange things to a man.

Would be interested to know if anyone here does this... but I'm thinking I might be in the minority here. Kind of sad when this sounds more fun than going out on a Friday night.

Kids and old do strange things to a man.

Uh, I used to do this, but you know this.. guess my nerdiness doesn't count.

I'll post pictures when I start mine. Super pumped to get my Wrath of Acardamom. Really hopeful it comes this weekend so I can dive right in. Also in defense of your virginity, those base red miniatures are pretty horrendous. Any bears left or did you only have two? Thinking ahead, I'm considering rending off a chunk of one of the beers and making it gory. Zombie bears are way cooler.

Blue snake is the neatest though.
a9b4dbcbaf90b6cf3e44233a74aa9133ca6ae136f7432fc76d773b72445b0eda.jpg

Uh, I used to do this, but you know this.. guess my nerdiness doesn't count.

I'll post pictures when I start mine. Super pumped to get my Wrath of Acardamom. Really hopeful it comes this weekend so I can dive right in. Also in defense of your virginity, those base red miniatures are pretty horrendous. Any bears left or did you only have two? Thinking ahead, I'm considering rending off a chunk of one of the beers and making it gory. Zombie bears are way cooler.

Blue snake is the neatest though.

Yeah, when I first got Wreath of Acardformom, I didn't really care. Then I saw some painted sets and got all jealous. After that I shelved it for like 5 years, then just pulled it out and dove back in. But the unpainted figs still bothered me.

Re: the bears, apparently my box was short a bear and long on a different monster. There should be 3. Disappointing to say the least. I'll have to pick another up.

These little dwarf guys suck, I'm doing 3 at a time... But they are much more time consuming given the size and level of detail.

I'm doing some dented old bronze looking shoulder pads/greaves over his chain mail. Might wash them another time or two with a green/brown to make it look more weathered, then drybrush in the highlights.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459258196.643641.jpg

I can't decide whether to do the shield in the same 'bronze' or go silver/steel with it?

I can't decide whether to do the shield in the same 'bronze' or go silver/steel with it?

I always did a really wet brush, once over and quick for chainmail then dry brushed on highlights. Turned out fine with minimal effort, then again I never went too colorful. Solid dark base coats always worked in my favor.

I'd go silver on the shields. There's enough bronze IMO. Maybe silver with bronze detail if you're feeling fancy. Is there a design on the face of the shield? And wtf are they doing? Blowing farts into their hands? Stupid dwarfs.

Decided that the 42 miniatures from my D&D Wrath of Ashartdemon board game were boring without any paint on them. I've started to work towards fixing this issue and have gone full on '40-year-old-virgin' in the process.

And now your silver pants are blue

side note: B34RS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! godless killing machines

I always did a really wet brush, once over and quick for chainmail then dry brushed on highlights. Turned out fine with minimal effort, then again I never went too colorful. Solid dark base coats always worked in my favor.

I'd go silver on the shields. There's enough bronze IMO. Maybe silver with bronze detail if you're feeling fancy. Is there a design on the face of the shield? And wtf are they doing? Blowing farts into their hands? Stupid dwarfs.

So far I've found that the multiple washes/highlights are adding a nice depth of color. I just wash with a few different shades and he'll actually get a full dark gray wash when I'm closer to the end, so he will be a bit darker all around.

Also, I'm going to paint his hands the same color as his skin and leave the bracers bronze.

No design on the face of the shield, and I think you're right. I'll just do steel that looks beat to hell.

As for what he's doing, he's leaning on his maul. Racist.

As for what he's doing, he's leaning on his maul. Racist.

Oh, didn't see the maul. Look at it while ignoring the maul, you see? Also for the record, I'm pretty sure it is very acceptable to be racist in the world of D&D. Funk dorfs. They're all dead to me.

Finished up the Duergar Guards... I know, look like **** cuz they dorfs.

Painting all the bases at the end, but these dudes turned out danky.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Also, @hunter_la5 , YUno-Gi-Oh doesn't beat my Candy Land end boss.

Played 7 Wonders recently. It was fun, but has some counterintuitive aspects that give a HUGE structural advantage to people who've played it even a few times.

For example: there are no cards that produce resources available in the third stage.

At all.

And suddenly frickin' EVERYTHING requires Cloth. >.>

Played 7 Wonders recently. It was fun, but has some counterintuitive aspects that give a HUGE structural advantage to people who've played it even a few times.

For example: there are no cards that produce resources available in the third stage.

At all.

And suddenly frickin' EVERYTHING requires Cloth. >.>

Think I settled on that as the next tabletop gaming purchase. Seems like my boys could handle it(almost 10 and 8), and quicker to play/set up than Settlers of Catan.

Think I settled on that as the next tabletop gaming purchase. Seems like my boys could handle it(almost 10 and 8), and quicker to play/set up than Settlers of Catan.

You should check out Forbidden Island. It's cheap, there's treasure, there's excitement, there's strategy, it's co-op, there's an island, it's Forbidden!

Kids would pick it up no problem, I'm sure. Don't let the price fool you... beautiful game, awesome quality.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65244/forbidden-island

Play time is around 30 mins... 5 mins to set up, if that.

GAMEWRIGHT-317.jpg

There's also forbidden desert, freaking awesome. Sand everywhere, the storm moves the whole board around, everyone slowly dies from dehydration. Definatly start with forbidden island though.

That's fun as well... I always recommend Forbidden Island to newer gamers or gamers with young (8-12ish) kids. Enough strategy to keep adults entertained, and accessible enough for kids to pick up.

Plus, it can be had for $10 or under depending on the shipping charge.

Non-gamers also react very well to it, I've had some pretty spirited games of that with people that have never ventured beyond Monopoly.

That's fun as well... I always recommend Forbidden Island to newer gamers or gamers with young (8-12ish) kids. Enough strategy to keep adults entertained, and accessible enough for kids to pick up.

Plus, it can be had for $10 or under depending on the shipping charge.

Non-gamers also react very well to it, I've had some pretty spirited games of that with people that have never ventured beyond Monopoly.
I just picked up Forbidden Island a couple weeks ago, specifically to help introduce my nephew (8) into more advanced games.

My brew team has been playing Pandemic (original version) on brew days recently. It is a frustratingly difficult co-op and I think we've only beaten it 3-4 times. I love that; who wants to win every time?

I believe they've nerfed it up so it's a little easier these days. Lame.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Agricola. Its a great resource game.

Puerto Rico too, if we're naming good resource/economic games.

I just don't normally mention those because they aren't really my cup of tea, even though I've had fun playing them. Usually it goes down like this:

"Farming or kill dragons? Farming or kill dragons... hmmm."

:D

I'm so old school I still like playing Pente and still find it a challenge (with a good player) even without computers, screens, or gaming consoles.

Good thread just read all of it. When younger a lot of Chess and Risk...

Anyone ever play ploy? a board game

Sisters had Ouija board (my wife's great grandfather invented the Ouija board they owned the Batlimore Toy Company. They made pool tables. pin ball and games. If you ever see a old board made of wood not paper board let me know. Family collects they.

Card game called Doozy where you added cards and did a hit for every mistake.

Back