Favorite Black IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarek82

Reaction score
Looking for options...so far mine is 21st Amendment Back In Black. Go!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would say Back in Black was one of my favorites for a long time until last night. I had Uinta Duhbe at the Pittsburgh Beerfest and it is now my new favorite black IPA

Uinta is one of my friend's favorite breweries because he is vegan. However I've never had any of their products.

Uinta is one of my friend's favorite breweries because he is vegan. However I've never had any of their products.

yeah, i never heard of them before Friday, but both of their beers at the beerfest were really good.

Hands down Firestone Walker Wookey Jack... Liked it so much I had to brew the clone version on this forum... So delicious

I liked Hop in the Dark better than both the FW and the Stone. All are excellent beers. The Deschutes is more complex malt bill and probably most stout like. Guess it's more of a CDA rather than black IPA.

Stone's Self righteous was my fav, even got the brewmaster to send me the recipe, and he re worked it for a 5 gallon batch. Been itching to brew it.... couple weeks maybe.
Then I came across Black Rajah..... yeah, ummm....wow......:rockin:

Stone's Self righteous was my fav, even got the brewmaster to send me the recipe, and he re worked it for a 5 gallon batch. Been itching to brew it.... couple weeks maybe.
Then I came across Black Rajah..... yeah, ummm....wow......:rockin:

In Mitch Steele's IPA book, he gives the recipes for a number of excellent black IPAs. Heck yeah!

Sublimely Self-Righteous, with Dubhe not far behind.

I didn't know this was a thing, but now I want some!

yeah, the Dubhe is pretty fine too....

Yup, came out like a month or so ago...... bartender knows I like the darker beers gave me a taste and I fell in love with it right there. Huge fan of Citra anyway, so that worked...now, to get the recipe :D
and I'll have to try the White Rajah too :mug: ....supposedly comparable IPA

Hands down Firestone Walker Wookey Jack... Liked it so much I had to brew the clone version on this forum... So delicious

Can you post the recipe? I don't see much firestone out here on the east coast. An occasional bottle here and there in specialty shops.

Back in Black got me started liking hoppy beers.. before that i wouldn't drink a regular IPA.. how it teases your eyes is probably what did it for me
That's what got me started liking hoppy beers to, so it's still one I go back to every once and awhile.

But I also love these:
Uinta Duhbe

Stone Self Righteous

Firestone Walker Wookey Jacks

Black Rajah.

I think it was Champps in West Chester (or some other restaurant) that had it on their beer list, but they were out of it. :mad:

Where did you get it?

Can you post the recipe? I don't see much firestone out here on the east coast. An occasional bottle here and there in specialty shops.
This is the one I just brewed and it's awesome.

Not that you can get it outside of Vermont but Hill Farmstead S&S #2 and Lawsons Finest Liquids Black Toast IPA is incredible. Wookey is next in line! The probably Otter Creek Black IPA

I can't get hop in the dark, but I love Deschutes.
Am drinking a Green Flash Hop Odyssey Black IPA right now that may be better than the Stone SSR...
It's limited, grab one if you can!

They one listed above by mtnagel is the thread us fellow wooky jack lovers have been using to brew the clone... it's such a phenomenal recipe that even if you screw it up on brew day it will still turn out amazing

It's a Wisconsin-only brewery, but New Glarus's Black Top is awesome.

My two favorites so far are:
Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale and Sierra Nevada Beer Camp #94 Belgian-Style Black IPA. You can't go wrong with either one.

Hoppy Feet 1.5 is great. I also enjoy Stone's Self Righteous, Southern Tier's Iniquity, SN beer camp which I believe uses Belgian Yeast, and when I need a 12 pack I go to Otter Creek's Black IPA.

I still have an affinity to calling it a CDA due to the Brewing TV episode. Whatever its called I enjoy the style immensely.

I like Heavy Seas Black Cannon, it was the first black IPA I had and I was hooked! Great balanced beer, nice malty backbone with the goodness of a solid IPA.

I think it was Champps in West Chester (or some other restaurant) that had it on their beer list, but they were out of it. :mad:

Where did you get it?

First got it at Flip Daddy's in Mariemont, try their place up there at Fields Ertel and I-71, but also got it at Mac's Pizza Pub....in fact had two there last night....:cross:

Odell's Mountain Standard. Will be hard to get soon thanks to Daylight Savings time.

Boneyard's Armored Fist at 10% and bursting with hops is my favorite followed by Wookey.

I'll second that one. FW Wookey Jack after that.

Dangit, this thread got me thinking about picking up some Black Top and I just realized it's a fall seasonal brew and not on the shelves anymore.

Latest posts

Back