Fav warmer weather yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
With summer here and temps in my basement now high 60s to low 70s...(depending on whether AC is on or not) ...wondering what folks fav summer yeast is?

I've only been doing ciders since last Dec...so my basement has always been cool.

Cheers [emoji111]

Last edited:
For me.... none. Cider is a winter sport, I don't make any until apple season. I know that doesn't help you, since you're doing cider with fajc (good for you) but I use orchard juice.

I will say this, though - avoid Nottingham. It makes nasty fusels above 70° F. BTDT.

I'm still doing cider with no changes, just trying to keep the temps down. The orchard I go to has pressed juice year round. I'm just trying to keep my fermenting tote as cool as possible (air conditioned room, tote 1/3 filled with h2o and ice as needed for 5-single gallons).

I will say I have ventured over to the mead section recently. Apparently warmer temps preferred....I have 3-single gallon BOMMs going now. I think that is the warmer temp alternative. Cyser is next... and then sour.... oh the list continues to grow.:D

For me.... none. Cider is a winter sport, I don't make any until apple season. I know that doesn't help you, since you're doing cider with fajc (good for you) but I use orchard juice.

I will say this, though - avoid Nottingham. It makes nasty fusels above 70° F. BTDT.
Looking forward to doing my first batches with fresh pressed orchard juice this fall. [emoji111]

I'm still doing cider with no changes, just trying to keep the temps down. The orchard I go to has pressed juice year round. I'm just trying to keep my fermenting tote as cool as possible (air conditioned room, tote 1/3 filled with h2o and ice as needed for 5-single gallons).

I will say I have ventured over to the mead section recently. Apparently warmer temps preferred....I have 3-single gallon BOMMs going now. I think that is the warmer temp alternative. Cyser is next... and then sour.... oh the list continues to grow.:D
Cool....

I've got my 1st batch of hard lemonade chugging along currently. [emoji41][emoji111]

Roger that on the lemonade, got a 1 gallon batch of Skeeter Pee going, myself.

Well I’m a fall cider maker. Usually after Columbus Day. But lately it’s still been warm then. Not HOT. If you want a yeast that likes heat try Saison. It will make a different flavor. But it’s good!

Well I’m a fall cider maker. Usually after Columbus Day. But lately it’s still been warm then. Not HOT. If you want a yeast that likes heat try Saison. It will make a different flavor. But it’s good!
Any recommendations on ur fav Saison yeast? [emoji111][emoji111]

Cheers!

The only one I’ve used is Belle Saison. Different flavors are produced at different temperatures.

The only one I’ve used is Belle Saison. Different flavors are produced at different temperatures.

Did you use the Saison yeast with a cider ? how did it go? whats the temp you fermented that particular one at ? sorry for all the questions haha

How's S04 fermenting in low 70s? I know it will crank on it pretty darn fast. [emoji12]

Kveik yeast can take over 100F.

You could also set up like @johnnyseko , add a t-shirt draped over your fermentor with a small fan blowing on it. If your area isn't very humid, you can cool the fermentor about 10F below room temp.

Gonna do a Saison....now just need to determine (aka coin flip) belle Saison or wyeast 3711 [emoji15]

I've been wanting to try Belle Saison also. The only Belgian yeast I've used so far is
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes, which was great.

Also, while my daytime temps were fine, my nights got a little cooler than I wanted so I picked up a 300W aquarium heater from Amazon for $20. Tossed that in the water around my fermentor and covered with a mylar emergency blanket and a sleeping bag to keep it nice and toasty.

Kveik yeast can take over 100F.

You could also set up like @johnnyseko , add a t-shirt draped over your fermentor with a small fan blowing on it. If your area isn't very humid, you can cool the fermentor about 10F below room temp.

I'm planning on using Omega labs hornindal and trying a little bit of every style with it soon. Heard it takes not even a week to finish primary, so I could theoretically brew more I could drink. [emoji482]I'll definitely make a post about it and see how versatile I could stretch that yeast.

is s-04 safale-04? I'm using that right now with two gallons. definitely on avg in low 70;s, hope to god doesn't taste like burnt rubber haha

is s-04 safale-04? I'm using that right now with two gallons. definitely on avg in low 70;s, hope to god doesn't taste like burnt rubber haha
Yep it is.

Its been my fav so far...but been using in the mid60F's...in Winter/Spring

I've been wanting to try Belle Saison also. The only Belgian yeast I've used so far is
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes, which was great.

Also, while my daytime temps were fine, my nights got a little cooler than I wanted so I picked up a 300W aquarium heater from Amazon for $20. Tossed that in the water around my fermentor and covered with a mylar emergency blanket and a sleeping bag to keep it nice and toasty.
When I want a bit of heat I just sit my carboy over a heated floor pad and wrap the outside with my rubber yoga mat

Changed my mind...and ordered 3pak of S05 from Amazon....going with that for my summer cider. Have read some favorable reviews for high60s to mid70s fermentation. Will need to cold crash bit longer than my fav S04 to get clarity I'm looking for.

Alrighty then...

Finally getting around to starting a batch of summer cider [emoji41]

Using S05
5gals Sam's 100% AJ
6cans FAJC
OG 1.063
Current basement temp 72F

Amazingly am having airlock bubbles every 45 secs...just 2hrs after pinching [emoji111]

Cheers & will report back...

I'm having great experiences with Cotes Des Blancs at 77-80F so far.

Have made a few regular ciders with apple juice + FAJC and I just made an apple "wine" using apple juice + Aldi brand "Pomegranate Plum" flavored juice and some sugar and it turned out amazing to me. Kinda like a White Zin but not horribly cheap tasting, not sickly sweet and still has a multi layered flavor.

Recipe for that off the top of my head:

1 gal
2 quarts Aldi 100% Apple Juice from concentrate
2 quarts Aldi Pomegranate Plum juice from concentrate
14oz white sugar
1/2 tsp malic acid
1g Cotes Des Blancs
3/4 teaspoon Fermax Yeast Nutrient

This is slightly too much liquid for one gallon so I had extra left in the Apple Juice container.

Add 14oz white sugar to pot, cover with apple juice and simmer till sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly and pour into 1 gal jug.

Add Yeast Nutrient and Malic Acid, then add apple juice and pomegranate plum juice, dry pitch yeast, airlock.

Ferment ~14 days? I cold crashed for 2 at the end to help clear but it wasn't really required. At this point it was right at 1.00 and I siphoned to bottling bucket and added I think 10oz of apple juice that I heated on the stove with 1 Earl Grey tea bag to add tannins and flavor.

It was either 8-10oz of apple juice but it's 3.5g sugar per oz and that was enough for a decent bottle carb - I did not stabilize.

Drinking it now 2 weeks later and like I said I think it's great, better than any $10 White Zin I've tried and sickeningly sweet.

Sorry this went off topic - but Cotes Des Blancs I would highly recommend coming from someone living in the hot south.

10am....less than 24hrs in...getting airlock bubbles every 3-4secs.....so the churn is on baby. My S04's in cooler weather are typically done in about 7days....so gonna keep a close eye on this bad boy...for right time to commence a cold crash...something in the area of 1.015ish I'm thinking. [emoji41]

5p - airlock bubbles every 1-2secs

Last edited:
Day4....airlock bubbles every 4-5secs. Notice thru my opaque 30l Speidel there's an approx 1inch krausen on the top....don't really ever see this with my fav S04.

Still churning & burning! [emoji41]

Cheers!

Last edited:
Day4....airlock bubbles every 4-5secs. Notice thru my opaque 30l Speidel there's an approx 1inch krausen on the top....don't really ever see this with my fav S04.

I tried S-04 for the first time this week, with a gallon of Kirkland Signature. Here it is after 12 hours. I was a bit surprised! I pitched it at room temp (probably around 80F) into a 4-liter shochu jug, then moved it to its current location at 68F a few hours later.

IMG00638.jpg

Still churning & burning! [emoji41]

Cheers!
Day5 and just checked SG....its already 1.006...Yowza! Tossed Speidel in fridge to cold crash. ABV ~7.45% currently. With various fruit flavor conditionings sweetness should be in my happy zone [emoji111]

You might try Hothead or Voss Kveik. I just finished brewing my first beer with Voss Kveik and am totally impressed with it. I started a gallon of cider with some of the trub and it's about ready to bottle (much faster than with wine yeast or most ale yeasts). I don't smell anything "off", but I haven't tasted it yet. Maybe tonight...

I've also had very good luck with Cote des Blancs, but it's not nearly as fast.

Day3 cold crashing...

Still bit cloudy...so gonna go another couple days...

Taste/smell is pretty bland compared to my fav S04...hoping some aging will bring it back. For me....S04 ciders taste/smell great immediately after cold crashing.

Semi-dry at this point since I missed my SG crash point by a bit.

Cheers! [emoji111]

Last edited:
Day3 cold crashing...

Still bit cloudy...so gonna go another couple days...

Taste/smell is pretty bland compared to my fav S04...hoping some aging will bring it back. For me....S04 ciders taste/smell great immediately after cold crashing.

Semi-dry at this point since I missed my SG crash point by a bit.

Cheers! [emoji111]

Keep posting updates, following as I plan on starting a new batch in a few days and am looking for the right hot weather yeast as well.

Cold crash done..lees pretty darn solid at bottom...cider bit cloudy still.....tossed all back into 1gal containers & added fruit concentrates etc

- Tart Cherry Cinammon
- Pineapple
- Cranberry
- Blk Cherry Cinnamon
- Plain (future flavoring)

Plus a couple Qts....pineapple cinnamon jalapeno & Cinnamon Clove

Yet to be determined how this summer S05 compares to my fav cool weather S04 [emoji41]

Cheers! [emoji111]

Last edited:
I've also had very good luck with Cote des Blancs, but it's not nearly as fast.

I have only used Cotes Des Blancs so far (been making cider a few months) and it always finishes up for me in ~7 days and that's including batches I made with almost 8% ABV - I do live in the south and it's ~77F in my fermenting room though.

I know it slows down at lower temps.

Back