faulty poppet valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

businesstime

Reaction score
One of my kegs has an air leak through the gas-in valve. I can only assume it's the poppet valve. Sometimes, it seats and seals, but not for long.

I just transferred a beer into this keg and wonder about how important it is to have a tight seal while it's conditioning for a few weeks. It's been purged of oxygen and is closed up. Is it a problem to not have an air-tight seal and/or pressure?

Thanks!

If you have gas hooked up and set and forget conditioning it is not going to affect your beer. On the other hand if you are keg priming, it is never going to carbonate in that condition.

Gas is not hooked up, I only used gas to purge the oxygen while it sits, disconnected in room temperature. I did not prime it.

Until you can fix it, why not cover it with a piece of plastic wrap and a rubber band?

You do not have to worry about air getting into the keg, so the beer will condition without any problem.

Back