Faucet to garden-hose adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
My wife and I are renovating, and we replaced the faucet in the kitchen with a pull-down nozzle. I can unscrew the nozzle to reveal the inner piece (the one without an aerator) but it's not a standard size, and my old faucet-to-garden-hose adapter doesn't work. That means there's no way to connect my immersion chiller.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? And if so, how did you resolve it? The LHBS is baffled.

It could be anything, particularly because it is a connection between two pieces of a single faucet. Assuming you don't have the means to measure diameter and thread gauge, your best bet will be to bring that ill-fitting piece into home depot to see what you can find that fits. Good luck!

You probably won't be able to find an adapter to fit that type of faucet, but before giving up on it, try a plumbing supply house. Rather than attempt to attach anything to the faucet, it might be better to simply tap into the supply line under the sink and install an additional valve. You could use a hose bib type valve which would not require an adapter.

Oh crap, I don't think you're going to be able to do it.

One possibilit I see, and I don't know if wifey would, or if it would fit, would be to cut the hose that the nozzel is on and somehow fit a set of small quick connects to the ends, and modify you IC to have one too.

Something like this, only smaller (I don't know if they exist).

60600-62700.jpg

Oh, Oh, Oh, There's another option though. Back in the day I used to do freelance photography, and my first darkroom was just literally a bathroom where I couldn't do anything fancy with the plumbimg. So I rigged everything I needed to hook up, like film real rinsers and such with those cheap hair washing things you put on a sink that doesn't have a rinser. You can usually get them at dollar stores.

Profiles_Shampoo_Hose.jpg

I just cut the sprayer off the hose, and built everything with nylon barb fittings like these.

5177f.jpg

Then I could just swap out one thing for another, leaving the hose connected.

You could affix this modified hose to your chiller really easily with the same metal clamp already holding your hose. Just og to the dollar store or even hardware store and get one of those hair washers and see if it fits over your existing faucet end. You might need to use a zip tie or something to help secure it during use, but I'm sure you could come up with something.

That might be more advisable than cutting your faucet hose.

I am in a similar situation; my sink faucet no longer has threads.

I bought a dohicky at Home Depot that adds a second port to my shower head, it has two ports, one for the head, another for a hose.

The splitter has 1/2 inch threads. I run a lay-flat hose (50ft) from the shower to the kitchen. Luckily for me, the shower is pretty close to the kitchen.

Not as easy as tapping into the kitchen faucet but it works very well.

Interesting ideas. . . all of them are definitely better than the method I attempted yesterday (hold the hose to the sink nozzle with my hand after the duct-tape rig failed.) I'm going to start looking for parts!

You probably won't be able to find an adapter to fit that type of faucet, but before giving up on it, try a plumbing supply house. Rather than attempt to attach anything to the faucet, it might be better to simply tap into the supply line under the sink and install an additional valve. You could use a hose bib type valve which would not require an adapter.

That's probably the best, cleanest idea. If you could install a "T" under the sink on the supply line, hook up a ball value with a hose attachment, that would be ideal (mostly because it would be hidden when you weren't brewing.

That's probably the best, cleanest idea. If you could install a "T" under the sink on the supply line, hook up a ball value with a hose attachment, that would be ideal (mostly because it would be hidden when you weren't brewing.

That's definitely the way I would do it. Take a look under the sink at the supply line to the faucet. There should be a stop valve installed where the water line enters from the wall or floor. It should be very easy to intercept the supply line to the faucet and install one of these:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hosebibb.html

More than likely, the supply to the faucet will be a small 3/8" flexible line. The small diameter of this line will severely restrict the flow rate. You can get around this by teeing into the water line before the stop valve. To do this, shut off your water supply and remove the stop valve. Depending on the type of stop valve, it may have pipe threads or it might be the compression type. Install a 1/2" tee and the hose bib for your auxiliary full flow water source and re-install the stop valve on the other leg of the tee. That's all there is to it and the cost should only be about $10 and probably less than that.

I'm pulling the flexible line out and connecting it to the hose which I put a 1/2" mpt to 5/8" barb in it. I'm going to add a T with a valve this week because I'm sick of unscrewing the flex hose every time. Works great! No problems with flow restriction on the 3/8" flex line.

Problem solved! I ended up connecting the "out" line on my immersion chiller to the barb on my cooler mash-tun. Then I just ran cold water threw the mash-tun and into the chiller, and the water ran OUT the end with the garden-hose fitting.

Actually, it ended up being BETTER than going from the faucet, because I was able to throw some blocks of ice into the cooler and get 33F water to run through the chiller, which is considerably colder than what I get out of my tap.

Yes, he made an in line pre-chiller (post-pre-chiller actually) on the spot. Ingenious and helps me rethink how I am going to approach the same issue in my kitchen.

When I was still brewing in the kitchen, I used a little fountain pump I picked up for $15 or so to do essentially the same thing. Fill up a bucket or cooler with ice water and pump it through the chiller.

I still use that pump, actually. Now it just pumps through a plate chiller instead of an immersion chiller.

I have a similar faucet (two of them actually) in our kitchen. I ended up just unscrewing the faucet handle completely. That leaves a female threaded end in which a 5/8" to 3/8" barb fit perfectly. I then just attach my "in" line on my wort chiller to that without any type of hose adapter. Works great but, like you, I had to outsmart my sink!

I have a similar faucet (two of them actually) in our kitchen. I ended up just unscrewing the faucet handle completely. That leaves a female threaded end in which a 5/8" to 3/8" barb fit perfectly.

That's pretty good too!

My wife and I are renovating, and we replaced the faucet in the kitchen with a pull-down nozzle. I can unscrew the nozzle to reveal the inner piece (the one without an aerator) but it's not a standard size, and my old faucet-to-garden-hose adapter doesn't work. That means there's no way to connect my immersion chiller.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? And if so, how did you resolve it? The LHBS is baffled.

Use the bathroom sink. Or tub.

In a similar vein: our basement utility sink faucet doesn't have threads, so I can't hook up my new jet bottle washer to it. Is there something I can attach to the faucet so that I can use the bottle washer? Thanks!

Yes, go to a dollar store, or even a drug store and look for one of those old school hair washing hoses that a lot of our parents used on us as a kid before sinks actually had a hose.

Profiles_Shampoo_Hose.jpg

You just slip the end onto your faucet. Snip of the sprayer end and clamp that onto your intake on the chiller.

I would also put a hose clamp on the faucet end so you can hold it in place.

Back in the day when I had a freelance photography business, I used those things a lot. For example I had film reel rinsers like this with one of those clamped on it. Hook it up to the sink and let it go.

dkrmfilmwasher.jpg

Works great.

Gee, it appears I posted the same info above years ago...didn't you see it? It even seems I used the exact same google picture of the hair washing thingy.

Back