Fat tire clone with pecans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petie

Reaction score
I'm brewing a fat tire clone this weekend and I'm thinking bout adding 1lb of roasted pecans and some oats for mouthfeel. Any thoughts on this.

petie said:
I'm brewing a fat tire clone this weekend and I'm thinking bout adding 1lb of roasted pecans and some oats for mouthfeel. Any thoughts on this.
Here's the original recipe.
6 lb. Light liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Special B, 8 oz. Caramel 120L, 8 oz. Munich 10L specialty grains, 1 oz. Northern Brewer, 1 oz. Saaz pellet hops, grain bag, priming sugar and yeast.

petie said:

6 lb. Light liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Special B, 8 oz. Caramel 120L, 8 oz. Munich 10L specialty grains, 1 oz. Northern Brewer, 1 oz. Saaz pellet hops, grain bag, priming sugar and yeast.

I've never brewed with pecans so I can't comment on that, but the oats need to be mashed if you want to get much more than starch out of them. To that end, Munich should be mashed as well, though some people do steep it.

Since it appears you're planning to do an extract batch, I'd skip the pecans and oats and instead steep 1/2 lb of carapils if you're just looking to add mouthfeel or body. Choosing a less attenuative yeast would be another easy option.

On the other hand, if you really want to go with the oats and pecans, I'd suggest doing a partial mash using DeathBrewer's technique (it's a sticky somewhere). You could replace 1 lb of your LME with ~ 1.5 lbs 2-row and mash it with your other grains in order to convert the oats and Munich. It's an easy process and produces fantastic results. Come to think of it, 'Brewing Classic Styles' has an appendix that shows how to do a partial mash batch as well. Good luck!

I would say toast both lightly, and be aware that the oil from the pecans will totally destroy your head retention. You will have headless beer. Have you considered using an alcohol-based pecan extract? Because that would give you the flavor without the head-killing oil.

Not sure how well the pecans will come out with Fat tire, but when I used them in the past I roasted them several times, putting them in a brown paper bag between roasting to get the oils out, then did a mini mash (when doing extract, just added them to the mash for AG) with them to get the flavor and a few points.

Search for Lazy Magnoila Pecan Ale and you will find a couple threads on here that cover using pecans fairly well

I was planning on roasting the pecans tommorrow. Maybe it's a bad idea I was drinkin a fat tire the other day and it just seemed like the flavor of fat tire and pecans would really complement each other. The taste of fat tire always seems to remind of the outer crust on a pecan pie. I might not use the oats but the roasted pecans are goin in. My mouths watering I gotta go get a fat tire.

The pecan beer I did was a lot lighter base than fat tire and 1 lb of pecans came.through but wasn't real forward. If the taste comes through in the fat tire I think it will taste good just not sure how much it will stand out with the depth of the fat tire. Let us know how it comes out

I live in Washington DC, and Fat Tire in bottles is not good down here. It's like they ferment the beer in actual rubber tires before they sell it through the local Target.

One I'm brewing is Midwest Homebrews fat tire clone. I'm just adding pecans cause I think they would go good together.

Racked this one to the secondary bout an hour ago. This one smells awesome. I'm leavin it in the secondary for at least two weeks. I gotta build a couple more boxes anyway. I'm pretty stoked about this one if it tastes anything like it smells it's gonna be freakin awesome.

Bottling this puppy up tommorrow. I'm pretty stoked about this one. If it tastes like it smells it's gonna be goooood. It's been two weeks in the secondary and it's not cleared up but it's not gettin any clearer so I'm gonna bottle it. If I put a paint strainer over the exit end of my siphon when I rack to a bottling bucket do y'all think itll help clear it up a little.

Back