Fastest grain to glass beer you have made

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I was wondering. I have made Biermunchers centennial blonde once before but he claims that it can go from grain to glass in less than two weeks....I believe him since it is his recipe:)

What is the fastest turnaround AG beer you guys have made and KEGGED?

British bitter in five days. Yeast pitched on Saturday afternoon, drinking beer on Thursday night.

Never made a bitter....is it comparable to an IPA of lets say 40 IBU's?

How are you gauging it's ready? Do you own a Zahm?

I have a bitter in the primary that would be nice to drink this weekend but I don't want to bottle it too early. Gravity readings will tell though.

I did a blackberry hefeweizen in two weeks, using whole fruit.

~5 days fermenting
~5 days secondary with blackberries
3-4 days in the keg force carbonating

How are you gauging it's ready? Do you own a Zahm?

I have a bitter in the primary that would be nice to drink this weekend but I don't want to bottle it too early. Gravity readings will tell though.

Beer with yeast in it is always changing, there is no "ready" other than
it's ready when it tastes like you want it to. I don't know what BigEd's
OG was but mine are about 1.052 and ready to drink in 9-10 days from
a keg. I think that's typical for most English bitters that are "real ales"
served from a cask. The length of fermentation depends a lot on the amount
of yeast pitched, if I pitched more I could probably cut the time down.

Aging is suitable for lagers because you are deliberately trying to
dial down a lot of the flavors, but ales are much better fresh imo.
Ray

I've got a low gravity wheat I brewed monday. I hope to keg this weekend. If it works out I'll post the recipe.

Was commissioned by my sister to brew my Honey Orange Hefe and only had two weeks to have it ready to be served. Worked out just fine, hazy but no yeast chunkies floating about. Fermented 10 days, then blasted it with ~30PSI at 40*F for three days and it turned out perfect.

Recipe is in my dropbox if you're interested

Also I've made the BM Centennial Blonde you mentioned and had it ready in about 2.5 weeks

I made a wheat and fermented in primary for 9 days then bottled right from primary and bottled and it was carbed and tasted amazing and smooth 4 days later, im letting some sit a while longer but i dont see how it could get much better... so grain to glass was 12 days and i bottle

I've made a Dry Irish Stout and tapped it 7 days later. I did things I'm not proud of ;)

Brewed 80/10/10 pale/flaked barley/roasted barley with fuggle hops and Wyeast 1084 Irish to about 1.045. Primary was done in three days. Let it rest for three more. Kegged on day six and shook the keg at higher pressure for quite awhile. Tapped the next day at 40degF.

It served the need.

Hmmm..... I've been eyeing up that Centennial Blonde on here for several years and now that I have new kegging equipment and only one beer on tap I might have to finally try it out.

I have a Blonde ale I brew regularly that I can easily be drinking at day 12 without really rushing anything too much. I just leave it in primary for 9-10 days, keg, carbonate for 2-3 days and drink. I could probably crunch that down in a pinch and serve it around 9-10 days pretty easy. That said, it is better letting it sit in primary for 14 days, carbing over a full week, and comes into its own around 4-6 weeks after brew day.

I get most beers turned around in 14 days unless its a lager or a beer that I am dry-hopping. Im usually ramping up my temp on English yeast around day 3, and for 1056/001 usually around day 5-6. Hold for a few days, then crash/keg.

Sorry to necro an old thread (which in itself was a necro of an old thread), but I've got a list of experiments and such that I've wanted to try out for a while. A "Full Speed" brew - "How fast can I get from grain to glass (without being terrible)" - is for some reason the first one on my list. I'm hoping for 4-5 days which to me doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility at all... but then I read this thread and I didn't see too many times like that.

I figured an ordinary bitter, a blonde ale, or anything simple fermented with a slight overpitch of Nottingham would be my plan. I figure that'll be done fermenting in about 3 days, and I can either give it a 4th day and do some kind of quick carb on day 4, or do a force carb for 24 hrs from day 4 to day 5.

Any thoughts? I have full temperature control, electric mash control, full electric setup later this year... if that makes any difference.

If I can nail the fermentation side of it then Part #2 of the experiment would be how fast can I make brewday, so that I can brew something on a Tuesday night to have ready for a Saturday poker night if needed, for example.

2 weeks is actually fairly easy to do. I can often start drinking some of my low gravity lagers in 2 weeks. Of course most beers are better a couple weeks later but I can make some legit beers that are clear and easy drinking in 2 weeks.

I've made low grav stuff and had it ready in four days. I force carbed and cleared it with gelatin.

+1
Brews with the shortest turn-around times will generally be low gravity ales carbonated and served from a keg. My ales generally take two to three weeks in the primary and one month of bottle-conditioning before I drink them. I'm considering kegging and have purchased most of the gear.

When I first started out, I was fascinated with a Vermont brewer who was making carbonated session meads. I wondered about that process and how it was applied because many meads and wines require aging. Being impatient pushed me toward ales instead.
http://www.groennfell.com/

I drank a hydrometer sample one time and it was fabulous. Of course it was much better in 3 weeks.

My quickest grain to glass is about 7-9 days, but there again better in 2-3 weeks. :)

I drank a hydrometer sample one time and it was fabulous. Of course it was much better in 3 weeks.

My quickest grain to glass is about 7-9 days, but there again better in 2-3 weeks. :)

Same. When I need a quick turn around, I make BierMuncher's Centenial Ale. I can go grain to glass in 10 days (but it gets better after another week or two)

An open fermented, bottle spunded weissbier. 72 hours after pitching it was bottled directly from the fermenter and 2 days after that it was done. Of course it was better after 3 more weeks but still very drinkable at 5 days total.

An open fermented, bottle spunded weissbier. 72 hours after pitching it was bottled directly from the fermenter and 2 days after that it was done. Of course it was better after 3 more weeks but still very drinkable at 5 days total.

This is awesome. I'm not sure what "bottle spunding" is, but I do use a spunding valve setup when I occasionally ferment in kegs.

I go seven days plenty, sometimes 6, but they are always better a few weeks later. I go back and forth, fresh beer has a special flavor, but I think filtering would help. The yeast will be done fermenting 3 days later sometimes, but that doesnt mean its ready. Idk. The more beer i make the less I want to taste yeast thats for sure. Considering i never measure anything, I like to be somewhat certain its done.

I dont know what my fastest grain to glass is but I mostly brew mid gravity 5%ish ales and generally keg 7 or 8 days after pitching the yeast. I do set and forget carbonation, but by day 5 or 6 there is usually enough carbonation to have a sample. I would say most of my beers are drinkable by then with many that require more than one sample.

I am with the others that say their beer improves with a few more weeks of aging and I try to have a pipeline going for that reason, but if it tastes good why not drink it.

I was wondering. I have made Biermunchers centennial blonde once before but he claims that it can go from grain to glass in less than two weeks....I believe him since it is his recipe:)

What is the fastest turnaround AG beer you guys have made and KEGGED?

13 days...like many here I brewed an English style...ESB...super simple grist and simple hops...made a nice big starter.

It was a good beer but like many of my beers got better with time!

I did a imperial pumpkin ale about 4 years ago then kegged it. I definitely kegged it too soon because it was cloudy and chunky until it settled in the kegerator after about 2 months. Oops.

Best I have done would be around 17 days. It was ok but I was young and impatient then.

Patience is a virtue...

I did a Centennial blonde (not Biermunchers) in 7 days grain to glass. Fermentation was done at 6 days and force carbed over 24 hours, had a very nice drinkable light ale the next day. Yes it did get better over the next week, but I really like "fresh" tasting beers. The longest I've let a beer go on primary was 3 weeks for a variation on Yooper's Oatmeal Stout last fall and it didn't turn out well (needed more oatmeal) and didn't age well. I like "young" beers (please don't report me to the local authorities).

Back