Fastest beer grain to glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am well aware that complex beers need time to condition, but that being said, what is the fastest a beer can be brewed? For arguments sake, let's say we are kegging and force carbonating, and are fine with a cloudy beer so no extra time for cold crashing, etc.

As others have already said, you can brew beers more rapidly that what is normally advertised if you follow good brewing practices. Some things that will help with this are accurate mash temp, aerate the wort well, pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast, use fermentation temperature control, use a highly attenuative/flocculent yeast strain, and burst carb in the keg. As you said, highly complex beers like imperial stouts will take longer to condition before they are at their best. But in general I think it is possible to brew very good beers within 10 days or so.

If you don't have PATIENCE, then don't brew. It will stress you out.

For me it's not a lack of patience thing. It's a technical curiosity to see if something can be done quicker that what is typically preached.

WHY THE FLIP do you need it that fast?

Get pipeline.

You are not crazy, it is merely that only 10% of the brewers on here brew at your level or yoopers.

I would rather give advice that newer brewers (90% of the brewers here) can use, rather than pontificate with the brewing experts about how great we are.

:mug:

So far the only one I see pontificating here is you. ;)

For me it's not a lack of patience thing. It's a technical curiosity to see if something can be done quicker that what is typically preached.

So far the only one I see pontificating here is you. ;)

Knock yourself out!

And again you miss the boat.

I am pontificating with the noobs, not the experienced ;)

They need a good pontificating by gawd!

I cant stop looking at the loin cloth on your avatar, cheezy. Is that a sporran on it?

:off:Actually.....my avatar is a Garnash Warrior wearing the ceremonial wedding tunic of early fall, to be worn ONLY when two homosexual male Garnei are being married under a harvest moon. The gem is a corelian aztope semi-conical version, native to the "I am making all of this crap up" region of the disantopian version of the free world of Gingivital Admonishment.

IL1kebeer said:
+1 Well said You have a bit of influence on here so hopefully people listen to you. I have been saying the same thing for months and most people think I'm crazy.
+2 btw ive never had "green" beer is that more homebrew hokem like hot side aeration and oxidation, tanin extraction and others?

:off:Actually.....my avatar is a Garnash Warrior wearing the ceremonial wedding tunic of early fall, to be worn ONLY when two homosexual male Garnei are being married under a harvest moon. The gem is a corelian aztope semi-conical version, native to the "I am making all of this crap up" region of the disantopian version of the free world of Gingivital Admonishment.

well that explains why I'm fixated on it

+2 btw ive never had "green" beer is that more homebrew hokem like hot side aeration and oxidation, tanin extraction and others?

+3.

I agree some of these beers that are green are really just brewers mistakes. I think of anyone is going to preach to noobs you should preach the truth.

OK, I am well aware that complex beers need time to condition, but that being said, what is the fastest a beer can be brewed? For arguments sake, let's say we are kegging and force carbonating, and are fine with a cloudy beer so no extra time for cold crashing, etc.

I have served hefewiessens 17 days from the date of brewing it.

I have also done English Milds in about the same time though they were all force carbonated.

Almost any Low Gravity beer can be ready pretty quickly.

DPB

Well, I think it's a myth that beer needs a month in the primary (really?!?!) and will not be good in 10 days if you brew it correctly. Perhaps that makes me a noob, but if my beer is finished, clear, dryhopped and ready, why the frick shouldn't I drink it?

A well made beer that is good in 10-14 days is perfectly doable, as long as it's relatively low OG (under 1.060 or thereabouts), an ale, properly made (correct fermentation temperature and yeast pitching rate), with non complex flavors (such as smoked or roasted malt).

I think we run into trouble when we make huge blanket statements about others' brewing abilities.

If a beer is done, it's not going to get "doner" by leaving it alone. If someone is unable to have a drinkable beer in less than 3 weeks, then they should look at process flaws.

If a brewer prefers the flavor of a beer that spent a month in the fermenter, that's one thing, but to denigrate others that hold themselves to professional breweries standards and actually package the beer when it's ready is insulting.

This is awesome and I agree.

You are not crazy, it is merely that only 10% of the brewers on here brew at your level or yoopers.

I would rather give advice that newer brewers (90% of the brewers here) can use, rather than pontificate with the brewing experts about how great we are.

I doubt that only 10% of the brewers here can follow directions, and can't do this. Now, it's true that they may not be highly skilled, but we're not talking rocket science here.

I'd much rather talk to people about fermentation temperatures and pitching rate and why they matter, as well as fermentation temperature control, than to assume that we can talk down to them and not give them good and proper advice. They aren't in kindergarten- they can be told what is required and then either take the advice or not. But to withhold helpful information in the guise of them being beginners is silly.

This forum is all about helping people grow as brewers. If we preach that beer needs to be a month in the primary to be drinkable, that's not a good way to teach people. Sure, you can leave your beer in the primary a long time if you prefer the flavor, but to give a blanket statement that something must be in the primary xxx long (or whatever the advice is) is doing a disservice to the brewer and to this community.

Whether the brewer chooses to apply that advice to their own brews is up to them, but we should never "dumb down" our advice based on assumptions that they are incapable.

Yooper said:
I doubt that only 10% of the brewers here can follow directions, and can't do this. Now, it's true that they may not be highly skilled, but we're not talking rocket science here.

I'd much rather talk to people about fermentation temperatures and pitching rate and why they matter, as well as fermentation temperature control, than to assume that we can talk down to them and not give them good and proper advice. They aren't in kindergarten- they can be told what is required and then either take the advice or not. But to withhold helpful information in the guise of them being beginners is silly.

This forum is all about helping people grow as brewers. If we preach that beer needs to be a month in the primary to be drinkable, that's not a good way to teach people. Sure, you can leave your beer in the primary a long time if you prefer the flavor, but to give a blanket statement that something must be in the primary xxx long (or whatever the advice is) is doing a disservice to the brewer and to this community.

Whether the brewer chooses to apply that advice to their own brews is up to them, but we should never "dumb down" our advice based on assumptions that they are incapable.

I agree 100%.

Maybe we should look into getting a sticky on this subject. It's something that I've seen come up a lot lately, and I feel like I've been repeating myself over and over about the benefits of healthy fermentations (and defending against naysayers at the same time). I am very passionate about beer and brewing and am on here to learn and to try to help people brew better beer, and I don't think it's right that inexperienced brewers are being shortchanged by reading that the "6 week rule" is the only way to make good beer. Absolutely false.

People that brew at our level don't ask questions like this.

Think what you want, we can't agree on everything!

I don't post noob advice on threads about triple decoction, but on questions like this one, noob is implied.

People that brew at our level don't ask questions like this.

Think what you want, we can't agree on everything!

I don't post noob advice on threads about triple decoction, but on questions like this one, noob is implied.

Is there a there a test I can take to determine what brewing level I'm at? I'm new here and want to make sure I ask level appropriate questions.

I know you’re exaggerating to make a point, but aeration, proper pitch rates and temperature control are basics for making good beer and will aid in quicker grain to glass times. To compare that to decoction mashing is just silly.

I think a point we're all missing here is that a beer is done when a beer is done; it is not some predetermined number of days. Sure it's affected by your process and the recipe, but no one can say recipe X will take X number of days. We can only guess. The more important information is how to influence the various factors and how to know when it's done...

Can you drive to the Grand Canyon at an average speed of 130 miles per hour and not fall in?

Yes, but why would you want to?

The PROBLEM is that the only people who seem to want grain to glass in a week are NOOBS, and people who should know better, but have suddenly decided to brew something for their buddy's wedding next week.

Noobs do NOT have the process down. Their beer will be SO much better at 4 weeks, that it is a crying shame to drink it at 1 week.

With 2 gallons of yeast, you can probably be grain to glass in 2 days!!!!! WHY NOT?????

Because budweiser is cheap, and it will taste better, and you will have it faster.

This is not some sort of Olympic event or drag race.

This is good people who like to create and like good beer, making beer.

If you don't have PATIENCE, then don't brew. It will stress you out.

Didn't intend on stirring the pot today and I'm not out to make enemies, but this, all of it, is quite insulting. I'm a "noob" with 2 beers and 1 cider down and just brewed my third beer, a smoked porter (extract), last night. I don't know everything and my method is improving, but this is a fun hobby for me. I consider myself a hobbyist more than a brewer in that I have many hobbies that I enjoy and work on improving my proficiency in constantly. I'm a member of many hobby oriented forums and I see this condescending attitude everywhere. If you drive to the grand canyon at 130 mph, chances are you will be arrested or killed. That is a crying shame. If you overpitch your beer and start drinking it in a week, chances are it will not have the refinement of a beer that had more time. Oh well, people have different tastes and I guarantee there are some out there who would prefer the taste. Does that make them wrong? If they make a beer that they enjoy(the whole point of it all!) but isn't up to your standards is it still a crying shame that they are able to enjoy the beer they brewed. If a "noob" wants to try it, encourage him/her to try a small batch and offer helpful tips based on their timeline if you feel so inclined, at the very least. Trial and error is how every single type, flavor, and style of beer originated. You aren't protecting anyone by asserting your ideals on "noobs" and brewing and beer as a whole are pretty safe. If others previous experiences have yielded less than desirable results then its fine to make people aware that they may not enjoy the results of their own experiments, but you cannot tell them they are wrong. Desirable is matter of opinion, feel free to voice yours but be open to the fact that your opinion isn't the only one.

NEVER MIND THAT WE ARE IN THE BEGINNER BREWING FORUM.

:drunk:

I know you’re exaggerating to make a point, but aeration, proper pitch rates and temperature control are basics for making good beer and will aid in quicker grain to glass times. To compare that to decoction mashing is just silly.

Since I mentioned decoction I assume you are talking to me.

All the other blather on here can take a flying leap, but I respect your input.

The staggering number of posts on this site displaying ignorance on temp control are driving my comments.

Someone is not likely to move into a complex brewing tactic like triple decoction, without first learning and practicing good temp control.

Someone who posts (effectively) "What is the soonest I can get to drinking this?" may very well be one of the MANY on here who do not practice good temp control.

Disagree? well then we shall! :mug:

And again:

NEVER MIND THAT WE ARE IN THE BEGINNER BREWING FORUM.

Someone who posts (effectively) "What is the soonest I can get to drinking this?" may very well be one of the MANY on here who do not practice good temp control.

Possibly that is true. But then instead of "yelling" at them, how about suggesting pitching a proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature, and fermenting at the proper temperature, and help to educate that brewer that to make good and quick brews proper temperature control is crucial. And of course, to make a really good beer, quick or not, it's crucial as well. That's a basic concept.

That's my only point. New brewer or not, we can't learn if people don't help point the way to the correct answer.

It's true we're in the "beginners forum", so probably no triple decoction questions will crop up- but certainly temperature control and yeast health topics are suitable for this forum.

My buddy has a recipe for an American Cream ale you can drink 9 days from brewing and it tastes awesome. I can email you the recipe if you like.

Possibly that is true. But then instead of "yelling" at them, how about suggesting pitching a proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature, and fermenting at the proper temperature, and help to educate that brewer that to make good and quick brews proper temperature control is crucial. And of course, to make a really good beer, quick or not, it's crucial as well. That's a basic concept.

That's my only point. New brewer or not, we can't learn if people don't help point the way to the correct answer.

It's true we're in the "beginners forum", so probably no triple decoction questions will crop up- but certainly temperature control and yeast health topics are suitable for this forum.

I agree, and didn't get huffy, until I was accused for the 15th or so time of giving noob advice IN THE NOOB forum.

You want a talk on temp control?

I think that would contradict the idea and be :off: since the absolute FASTEST beer would be pitched warm and kept there......

Hmmmm.....that said....I guess a dunkelweisen or other warm fermented beer might be a candidate.

Disagree? well then we shall! :mug:
We probably actually do agree. It's more about the details.

If it's been brought out that if the "beginner" has already brewed his beer and missed any one of the big three (aeration, pitch rate and temperature control), then the let it sit 3-4 weeks is the right reply, but not without pointing out the reason. The debates start when someone (and they often do) uses the 4 week mantra as the proper way to brew all beers.

Agreed my friend.

IF you CHILL properly, and then PITCH a proper amount of yeast, Aerate properly, and KEEP the temp appropriate, then a low-medium alcohol beer will be drinkable in 10 days or so.

Omitting ANY of these steps, will require longer "conditioning" time.

SO.....the type of beer is almost irrelevent to the OP. PROCESS is key.

I would have to agree, good yeast pitching, temp control and cold crash when done. I chill mine down to 29° and it clears within 24 hours.

Agreed my friend.

IF you CHILL properly, and then PITCH a proper amount of yeast, Aerate properly, and KEEP the temp appropriate, then a low-medium alcohol beer will be drinkable in 10 days or so.

I don't think that the type is necessarily irrelevent. I mean, suggesting a mild (as I did) connotes a lower OG, uncomplex beer. Many milds are 1.039 for an OG. Since they are dark, they don't have to be clear but since they use an English yeast they tend to be crystal clear in 3 days or so.

Suggesting a hefeweizen would be a good call, if the person likes those. They are cloudy anyway, and best when fresh and are also a low OG beer.

I know that nobody would suggest a RIS for a quick beer! Lagers necessarily take longer, if not for fermentation then at least for the lagering.

So it is style related, oftentimes.

Agreed my friend.

You should just change your SN to "footinmouth" and be done with it.

These types of threads are easily my least favorite. A 30 pack of bud light goes from store to glass pretty quick as does any number of quality 6 packs.

Sure there are times that a beer needs to go through your pipeline faster than normal, but if you ever need to rush a beer you should buy beer for the occasion in question. If you were that set on having homebrew for it than you should use this as motivation to be more prepared next time.

This is especially true because most moderate gravity beers can be turned around in <3 weeks with proper yeast health and a keg. I mean really, how much faster do you want it.

You should just change your SN to "footinmouth" and be done with it.

These types of threads are easily my least favorite. A 30 pack of bud light goes from store to glass pretty quick as does any number of quality 6 packs.

Sure there are times that a beer needs to go through your pipeline faster than normal, but if you ever need to rush a beer you should buy beer for the occasion in question. If you were that set on having homebrew for it than you should use this as motivation to be more prepared next time.

This is especially true because most moderate gravity beers can be turned around in <3 weeks with proper yeast health and a keg. I mean really, how much faster do you want it.

And "NOT TOO BRIGHT" should be yours!

Durrrrrrrrrr

You are saying almost EXACTLY what I said 3 pages back!

Foot in mouth yet Not So Bright?

Poor fella!

Yooper basically agreed with me but pointed out some obvious "NOT FAST" beers.

So, that said: Most low -medium gravity ALES can be produced and FORCE CARBED if you follow the CHILL, AERATION, PITCHING, TEMP CONTROL mantra, in 10 days or so.

In the 4 years I have been brewing, Have I brewed beers that have been ready to drink in about 7-8 days? You bet I have. They are decent beers... But those same beers are waaaaayyyy better after they've sat in the keg for another 2 weeks. Heck it's not even the same beer from the 1st day it's "drinkable" in the keg, to the end of the keg. I hate drinking green beers, and wort tastes like crap too... so I don't drink beer until it's ready for ME. :)

There have been a lot of good points brought up. Can it be done? Yes. Is it wrong? No. Should it be done? Depends on what kind of beer the brewer wants to drink. Totally a personal choice.

To me "brewing for speed" makes no sense to me... as I'm not trying to pound out mass quantities of beer. I have a decent pipeline for me, my wife, my family, and a few select friends. have I been asked if I can brew a beer for an occasion? Yes. But I won't do it if the occasion is only a week away. Too many things can potentially go wrong to screw it up if it's hurried. So my freinds and family know that if they want beer brewed for an occasion... I want at least a months notice. That's not just cuz it takes a month to brew beer. It's so I can screw around, and do it on my time... and not be rushed. :)

Gary

Because budweiser is cheap, and it will taste better, and you will have it faster.

Sure there are times that a beer needs to go through your pipeline faster than normal, but if you ever need to rush a beer you should buy beer for the occasion in question.

WHY THE FLIP do you need it that fast?

Get a pipeline.

;)

To me "brewing for speed" makes no sense to me... as I'm not trying to pound out mass quantities of beer. I have a decent pipeline for me, my wife, my family, and a few select friends. have I been asked if I can brew a beer for an occasion? Yes. But I won't do it if the occasion is only a week away. Too many things can potentially go wrong to screw it up if it's hurried. So my freinds and family know that if they want beer brewed for an occasion... I want at least a months notice. That's not just cuz it takes a month to brew beer. It's so I can screw around, and do it on my time... and not be rushed. :)

Gary

Pushing the envelope is one thing, but making a beautiful beer should be art.

Picasso probably never tried to see if he could just crank one out at the speed of light just cause he might be able to.

I just carbed up a 1.072 American Stout with 11% roasted malts. I took a pint last night after only 11 days from brew date. Hit FG 1.016 on day 6 and kegged on day 8. Drank it side by side with a similar commercial example and while the recipes were obviously different there were absolutely no off flavors by comparison. Nothing needed to be "conditioned" out and it was absolutely drinkable on day 11. My wife even liked it and she's not a fan of roasty beers.

Fermentation is everything and I guarantee that with a piss poor fermentation this would have probably finished with a super high FG. It would have been such an awful mess that the so called "beer gods" would have to do some magical voodoo during a 2 month conditioning process to make it drinkable. Just something to think about.

If anyone wants the recipe and the exact process so that you can try this yourself, please let me know.

I just carbed up a 1.072 American Stout with 11% roasted malts. I took a pint last night after only 11 days from brew date. Hit FG 1.016 on day 6 and kegged on day 8. Drank it side by side with a similar commercial example and while the recipes were obviously different there were absolutely no off flavors by comparison. Nothing needed to be "conditioned" out and it was absolutely drinkable on day 11. My wife even liked it and she's not a fan of roasty beers.

Fermentation is everything and I guarantee that with a piss poor fermentation this would have probably finished with a super high FG. It would have been such an awful mess that the so called "beer gods" would have to do some magical voodoo during a 2 month conditioning process to make it drinkable. Just something to think about.

If anyone wants the recipe and the exact process so that you can try this yourself, please let me know.

I am sure your brewing process is perfect, but...

A BLACK session stout can be ready in 5 days. Lots of roasted, black patent. Low ABV, 4% or so.

The dark grains completely mask the green.

Dark Beers are easy ;) as are IPAs.

No one asked for it, but here it is anyway. 11 days grain to glass 7.3% ABV 1.072OG American Stout. Must use proper pitch rate, yeast nutrient, temperature control of wort (not ambient), and pure O2. Frickin delicious.

American Stout
American Stout (13 E)
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.03 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 5.75 gal
Vol into Fermenter: 5.25 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.03 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
Date: 12/01/13
Equipment: Biab 8 Gallon Kettle 10 Gallon Cooler
Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %

Prepare for Brewing
Create a yeast starter (266 billion cells)
Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Total Water Needed: 7.39 gal

Water Prep
7.43 gal Corona, CA Water 1 -
4.00 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
1.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

Mash Ingredients
11 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 4 83.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.6 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6 5.6 %
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 7 5.6 %

Mash Steps
Mash In Add 4.22 gal of water at 168.9 F
Mash at 153.0 F 60 min
Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 3.17gal) of 185.0 F water
Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.50 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.061 SG

Boil Ingredients
1.20 oz Magnum [12.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 62.3 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1 Capsule White Labs Servomyces (Boil 5.0 Mins) Nutrient
2.00 oz Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 12.9 IBUs
Estimated Post Boil Vol: 5.75 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.072 SG
Vol into Fermenter: 5.25 gal

Cool and Transfer Wort
Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Run pure O2 with Morebeer Regulator and disposable O2 tank for 90 seconds
Pitch Yeast and Measure Gravity and Volume

Fermentation
12/01/13 - Primary Fermentation (14.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 71.0 F) - CONTROL THE TEMPERATURE OF WORT, NOT AMBIENT

Bottle/Keg
Date Bottled/Kegged: 12/09/13 - Carbonation: Keg with 10.74 PSI
Age beer for 3.00 days at 38.0 F
12/12/13 - Drink and enjoy!

image-3834395001.jpg

Interesting , I would normally think that would need a bit longer to reach its peak, but I've never brewed an american stout before and probably only tasted a couple

I brew a bunch of porters and stout porters but always use lots of brown malt and it always takes 6 weeks or so before the flavours have melded properly. I bottle everything as well though.

GASoline71 said:
I would think it will be a much better tasting beer in 2 to 3 more weeks in that keg. In 3 days it's still too young...

Gary

Why don't you try this recipe yourself, along with the fermentation profile, before you make judgement. You are just making yourself look ignorant.

I, on the other hand, HAVE tried this recipe (duh, I posted it). I have been drinking it for a little less than a week now and there is nothing that needs to get better about it. Will it change over time? ABSOLUTELY. Does this beer need more time to be delicious? Nope.

You're all idiots. Every single one of you. I'm the only one that actually knows how to brew around here, and none of your experiences are worth a rat's a$$, so you can all stop speculating. :drunk:

In all seriousness, though, it's amazing how people will share their limited experience as gospel truth. I know I'm going out on a limb here, and many of you will be highly offended by this, but.... Different people have different experiences. I know, I know, that's blasphemy. You know what else? Different people have different tastes. Oh god, I'm probably going to be lynched for that one.

Remember: the OP simply asked for a quick turn around recipe. He didn't ask for your opinion on whether a beer should be rushed or not. If you want to give your opinion and some advice that's fine, but this thread is just idiotic. You people are all up in arms over when is the best time to drink a beer. COME ON! How about the best time to drink it is WHEN EVER THE HELL YOU WANT TO.

Seriously.

you're all idiots. Every single one of you. I'm the only one that actually knows how to brew around here, and none of your experiences are worth a rat's a$$, so you can all stop speculating. :drunk:

In all seriousness, though, it's amazing how people will share their limited experience as gospel truth. I know i'm going out on a limb here, and many of you will be highly offended by this, but.... Different people have different experiences. I know, i know, that's blasphemy. You know what else? Different people have different tastes. Oh god, i'm probably going to be lynched for that one.

Remember: The op simply asked for a quick turn around recipe. He didn't ask for your opinion on whether a beer should be rushed or not. If you want to give your opinion and some advice that's fine, but this thread is just idiotic. You people are all up in arms over when is the best time to drink a beer. Come on! How about the best time to drink it is when ever the hell you want to.

Seriously.

x2

Remember: the OP simply asked for a quick turn around recipe. He didn't ask for your opinion on whether a beer should be rushed or not.
Seriously.

Hey Zymergist! Love you man! But you are dead wrong on this one.

The OP asked (see above) what is the FASTEST a beer can be brewed? No recipe requested. Just how fast.....and in the Beginning Brewing Forum.

What kind of site would this be, if the only answers he got were:

10 days

35 days

14 days

etc. ?

It would be uninformative and boring as hell.

If somebody posts something like this in the "NOOB AREA" and doesn't get some real thoughts, opinions, and debate, then I will turn in my membership.

Back