Fastest beer grain to glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedutchtouch

Reaction score
OK, I am well aware that complex beers need time to condition, but that being said, what is the fastest a beer can be brewed? For arguments sake, let's say we are kegging and force carbonating, and are fine with a cloudy beer so no extra time for cold crashing, etc.

Fastest ever for me was an Irish stout. Brewed it on Monday, had a glass with dinner on Wednesday. I'll not say it was as good as that beer got a few days later but it wasn't bad.

I make a Michael Dawson inspired bitter that is fantastic at 10 days...force carb of course. I'll be brewing it again this weekend and drinking by Christmas easy

You can keg some ale styles in 6 days with no off flavors and have them carbed and ready for day 7. I do it regularly for some of my beers but I usually carb over 2-3 days instead of 1. Two good examples of fast turnaround styles are American Wheats and English Milds. German Hefes can also be done pretty quickly. IPAs and Pale ales shouldn't take more than 8-10 days before racking either.

That being said, you can't expect to do this unless you understand yeast and fermentation. Pitch rates, yeast health, yeast selection, oxygen, nutrients, and precise temperature control of the fermenting beer (not ambient...) are all required. Failure to control fermentation can and probably will result in a mess of off flavors and attenuation issues if you try to keg at day 5 or 6. Also, a period of cold conditioning is almost always beneficial in some way. That's why I personally don't rush carbonating.

Finally, don't be discouraged by people that say it can't be done. They just haven't successfully done it themselves. I can assure you that it's possible to have a week turn around without the risk of off flavors. Although, taking your time with a beer usually isn't a bad thing either.

lower abv german wheat beers and bitters are the two that spring to mind for me.

As long as you have good temperature control

A lower gravity farmhouse or saison is turbo fast with Wyeast 3711. Keep it cool for a day or two then let it rise to room temperature or beyond and that yeast will be done in 4 or 5 days... Super tasty too...

Surprised no one mentioned Wheat beers....many of them can be made super fast.
Brew, ferment for 3-4 days, force carb in keg with shaking. Easy 5 day's...it wouldnt be the best beer ever created, but it should taste like a decent wheat beer, their gonna be super cloudy anyways.

Stone enjoy by is a double IPA, that, I was told, is packaged the week after brew day. I cannot confirm this, but when I was at the brewery in their bar area, the bartender told me that. 9.4% ABV. My homebrew batch I was trying to accomplish the same thing. If I didn't have other responsibilities, I would've accomplished it. I kegged mine on a day 9. It was done fermenting and ready to drink. The cold crash was nearly as clear running through the siphon tubing as was the beer running through the filter tubing. Still has the hop haze to it, and I wasn't able to get it carbonated up to serving temps as fast as I wanted. However, it is possible to do it in 7 days I believe.

TD

Low ABV, higher temp fermentations and/or beers that taste OK green would make the most sense: hopped up Pale Ales, Wheat beers, Saisons. That said, just because these styles are fastest I would never want to try to have one ready to drink in less than 2 weeks, even with force carbonation.

Tip: Brew often and early!

We did a fun swap a few years ago, where we brewed a mild and sent it out in 10 days, fully carbed.

Here's the thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/project-10der-mild-10-milds-10-days-month-10-a-77758/

Mine was quite good by day 7-8 (cant' remember exactly when I started drinking it, but around there), and I enjoyed it.

Otherwise, I normally drink my pale ales and IPAs at about day 14-19, depending on the OG and if it's dryhopped.

Yep I was gonna mention mild as well. Hey spark plug, where can you get a spunding valve?

I agree 100%

I have been brewing long enough now that the "glamor of the process" is over, and if I had to brew a beer with time constraints... I just wouldn't brew it.

Gary

I disagree with both. Stones AB is grain to glass in seven days.

I'm not sure I've experienced green beer since my extract days. With good fermentation control I usually am drinking most my beers at 4 weeks. With that said, i also read that a lot of breweries go grain to glass in 17-21 days.

I might start trying to get beers on tap at my place quicker and see if there's a difference. I suspect for most simple beers I could accomplish a 21 day time frame. I will say malty beers and darker beers with lots of roasted barley are the only ones I've really brewed that seem to simply meld and get better with some age.

With that said, i also read that a lot of breweries go grain to glass in 17-21 days.

Because real breweries have impeccable control from yeast pitching rates, temperatures, sanitation, etc, etc. Most home brewers cannot simulate those perfect conditions in the home brewing environment.

Jayhem said:
Because real breweries have impeccable control from yeast pitching rates, temperatures, sanitation, etc, etc. Most home brewers cannot simulate those perfect conditions in the home brewing environment.

It's not that hard or expensive for a homebrewer to attain close to the same control. However, I've found that a lot of people would rather relax with homebrewing and probably try to avoid the stress and pressure that it takes to learn how to ferment this way. After all, this hobby should be fun. While I can ferment in a week, I certainly respect brewers that choose to take their time; it's a hobby and people are free to brew how they see fit.

My only problem is when these people tell beginners that homebrew can't be fermented in a week. That statement is simply not true.

My only problem is when these people tell beginners that homebrew can't be fermented in a week. That statement is simply not true.

Agree.

The science behind behind the brew process gets thrown to the side a lot with people saying the old hat ways are the only way. There are many cheap ways to control almost everything in the process from your home. It requires effort to diy or the funds; those who can't purchase something out of a box due to funds say it is impossible.

Running a good fermentation helps scrub the green flavors from beer quickly. If you're looking to get a batch fermented and conditioned quickly, pitch either the optimal amount of yeast or slightly over this. In addition, don't separate the beer from the yeast the instant that fermentation is over —*give the beer at least day to sit on the yeast.
If you brew a relatively low gravity beer, aerate the wort throughly, slightly overpitch, and run the fermentation near the top end of the yeast's acceptable range, you can go grain to glass quickly. It also helps to pick a flocculant yeast strain.
For an English bitter or similar session beer, you can ferment for 2-3 days, let the beer sit on the yeast for a day, keg the beer and serve it a couple days later. For average strength beers, add a day (maybe two at most) to this time frame. The main thing is pitching enough yeast and making them happy.

Here's one beer I've made twice, going grain to glass in 6 days the first time and 7 days the second. (I added the "sit on yeast" step the second time because the first time I brewed it it had a bit of residual diacetyl.)
http://beerandwinejournal.com/quickly-maturing-ale/

Chris Colby
Editor
beerandwinejournal.com

Can you drive to the Grand Canyon at an average speed of 130 miles per hour and not fall in?

Yes, but why would you want to?

The PROBLEM is that the only people who seem to want grain to glass in a week are NOOBS, and people who should know better, but have suddenly decided to brew something for their buddy's wedding next week.

Noobs do NOT have the process down. Their beer will be SO much better at 4 weeks, that it is a crying shame to drink it at 1 week.

With 2 gallons of yeast, you can probably be grain to glass in 2 days!!!!! WHY NOT?????

Because budweiser is cheap, and it will taste better, and you will have it faster.

This is not some sort of Olympic event or drag race.

This is good people who like to create and like good beer, making beer.

If you don't have PATIENCE, then don't brew. It will stress you out.

WHY THE FLIP do you need it that fast?

Get pipeline.

Can you drive to the Grand Canyon at an average speed of 130 miles per hour and not fall in?

Yes, but why would you want to?

The PROBLEM is that the only people who seem to want grain to glass in a week are NOOBS, and people who should know better, but have suddenly decided to brew something for their buddy's wedding next week.

Noobs do NOT have the process down. Their beer will be SO much better at 4 weeks, that it is a crying shame to drink it at 1 week.

With 2 gallons of yeast, you can probably be grain to glass in 2 days!!!!! WHY NOT?????

Because budweiser is cheap, and it will taste better, and you will have it faster.

This is not some sort of Olympic event or drag race.

This is good people who like to create and like good beer, making beer.

If you don't have PATIENCE, then don't brew. It will stress you out.

Well, I think it's a myth that beer needs a month in the primary (really?!?!) and will not be good in 10 days if you brew it correctly. Perhaps that makes me a noob, but if my beer is finished, clear, dryhopped and ready, why the frick shouldn't I drink it?

A well made beer that is good in 10-14 days is perfectly doable, as long as it's relatively low OG (under 1.060 or thereabouts), an ale, properly made (correct fermentation temperature and yeast pitching rate), with non complex flavors (such as smoked or roasted malt).

I think we run into trouble when we make huge blanket statements about others' brewing abilities.

If a beer is done, it's not going to get "doner" by leaving it alone. If someone is unable to have a drinkable beer in less than 3 weeks, then they should look at process flaws.

If a brewer prefers the flavor of a beer that spent a month in the fermenter, that's one thing, but to denigrate others that hold themselves to professional breweries standards and actually package the beer when it's ready is insulting.

Well, I think it's a myth that beer needs a month in the primary (really?!?!) and will not be good in 10 days if you brew it correctly. Perhaps that makes me a noob, but if my beer is finished, clear, dryhopped and ready, why the frick shouldn't I drink it?

A well made beer that is good in 10-14 days is perfectly doable, as long as it's relatively low OG (under 1.060 or thereabouts), an ale, properly made (correct fermentation temperature and yeast pitching rate), with non complex flavors (such as smoked or roasted malt).

I think we run into trouble when we make huge blanket statements about others' brewing abilities.

If a beer is done, it's not going to get "doner" by leaving it alone. If someone is unable to have a drinkable beer in less than 3 weeks, then they should look at process flaws.

If a brewer prefers the flavor of a beer that spent a month in the fermenter, that's one thing, but to denigrate others that hold themselves to professional breweries standards and actually package the beer when it's ready is insulting.

You misunderstand.

You are NOT a noob, so you are able to go grain to glass very quickly.

If you suddenly had the urge to ferment the world's fastest beer, just for speed's sake, I would be surprised.

Someone who does not chill fastidiously (a HUGE problem among both new and existing brewers) will actually see their beer get "doner" in that month.

For the vast majority of brewers, a blanket statement of "Drink your beer in 10 days" will result in FAR lower quality beer being consumed than "Drink your beer in 30 days".

Everything you say is correct Yooper. Unfortunately, most brewers do not have process down like you do.

My process is frightening me lately. Most beers really are drinkable in 10 days, but why rush it?

Unless it is an overly hoppy beer, it will be just fine in another 10 days.

You misunderstand.

You are NOT a noob, so you are able to go grain to glass very quickly.

If you suddenly had the urge to ferment the world's fastest beer, just for speed's sake, I would be surprised.

Someone who does not chill fastidiously (a HUGE problem among both new and existing brewers) will actually see their beer get "doner" in that month.

For the vast majority of brewers, a blanket statement of "Drink your beer in 10 days" will result in FAR lower quality beer being consumed than "Drink your beer in 30 days".

Everything you say is correct Yooper. Unfortunately, most brewers do not have process down like you do.

My process is frightening me lately. Most beers really are drinkable in 10 days, but why rush it?

Unless it is an overly hoppy beer, it will be just fine in another 10 days.

Ah, now I get what you were saying!

For me, blanket statement in either direction ruffle my feathers a bit. I think even beginners like to be educated on the "proper" ideas of brewing and I really hesitant to put either idea forth as gospel.

I have a ton of respect for Chris Colby, and his knowledge of brewing and experience, and I know my own experiences- and I think even a brand new brewer can be told that a quick beer comes done to process but that even a year in the fermenter can't fix a poorly made beer. A new brewer generally wants to make good beer, not just quick beer, and certainly should be told about yeast health and temperature in a successful fermentation.

A good, quick beer can be done. Maybe it shouldn't be encouraged always, as there is a skill level there- but I don't think it should be discouraged either if someone wants to attempt it and is willing to put the effort into it.

cheezydemon3 said:
WHY THE FLIP do you need it that fast? Get pipeline.

In general I agree. I recently made a version of "enjoy by" which is supposed to be brewed and packaged fast so as to preserve and emphasize the freshness of the hops before they fade.

As has been said!

IPAs and Hop forward beers in general are better young.

Like dark grains, the High bitterness actually covers up the "green"

I've had beer be VERY good after 5 days using white labs 002. Active fermentation took a day. Did a Diacetyl rest for a couple. Force carbed. It did get even better after another few days, but it didn't taste green or anything. OG was about 1.055

Add to the above post:
I used a starter that was still producing krausen, and I have a fermentation chamber that stayed at 66 degrees for active fermentation. By far the best amber ale I've made.

I think the biggest difference between commercial and home brewing and the time it takes to get to the glass is monitoring of gravities. Commercial breweries stick to their formulas and transfer from primary to conditioning when they hit their final gravity reading. From there, its up to the beer and the brewer. It could be ready as soon as it has settled out or it may take a few days or longer for the beer to get to taste. I don't think you can apply a blanket statement. My local brewery was pushing to get a Maple Stout done and they could of served it day one in the conditioning tank and people would have been happy to drink it, but they gave it few more days and it was that much better. It disappointed a few people who came to their grand opening for that beer, but it was the right decision to make.

This is your hobby. The beer is ready when you're willing to drink it and are happy with it. Everyone else's opinion is moot.

Yooper said:
Well, I think it's a myth that beer needs a month in the primary (really?!?!) and will not be good in 10 days if you brew it correctly. Perhaps that makes me a noob, but if my beer is finished, clear, dryhopped and ready, why the frick shouldn't I drink it? A well made beer that is good in 10-14 days is perfectly doable, as long as it's relatively low OG (under 1.060 or thereabouts), an ale, properly made (correct fermentation temperature and yeast pitching rate), with non complex flavors (such as smoked or roasted malt). I think we run into trouble when we make huge blanket statements about others' brewing abilities. If a beer is done, it's not going to get "doner" by leaving it alone. If someone is unable to have a drinkable beer in less than 3 weeks, then they should look at process flaws. If a brewer prefers the flavor of a beer that spent a month in the fermenter, that's one thing, but to denigrate others that hold themselves to professional breweries standards and actually package the beer when it's ready is insulting.

Yooper said:
Maybe it shouldn't be encouraged always, as there is a skill level there- but I don't think it should be discouraged either if someone wants to attempt it and is willing to put the effort into it.

+1 Well said

You have a bit of influence on here so hopefully people listen to you. I have been saying the same thing for months and most people think I'm crazy.

+1 Well said

You have a bit of influence on here so hopefully people listen to you. I have been saying the same thing for months and most people think I'm crazy.

You are not crazy, it is merely that only 10% of the brewers on here brew at your level or yoopers.

I would rather give advice that newer brewers (90% of the brewers here) can use, rather than pontificate with the brewing experts about how great we are.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back