Fast ways to cool down a primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedore

Reaction score
I put together a Hefeweizen last night and it's been fermenting vigorously this morning. Excellent. The temp sticker says 72 deg- I think I'd like to cool it down a bit to get more of the clove taste.. but I don't have any sort of cooling system in place. It's just sitting in my closet. Do I have any options aside from turning down the central heating system and hope the ambient air cools the beer down, or do I have any other options that are relatively quick and cheap to get set up?

I've been cracking the window in our home office to cool down batches. I'm on mobile so I can't tell where you're from and if this is an option.

Or just make a swamp cooler.

I live in Madison WI. Good call on that- I might have to just move my fermenter out of the closet to be near the window as its all the way across the apartment from the window/balcony door.

How about a swamp cooler. Place fermenter in a large container, Rubbermaid works just fine, the fill the container with cool water. If you need it cooler than that freeze some jugs of water and drop in the water. The fermenter will drop in temp to in a few hours. Cheap and easy although sometime messy.

I've dropped my primary temps in summer a few degrees by covering the FV with a wet tee shirt & training a small turbo fan on it. A small sheet pan under it to catch dripping water. It's good for a bout 3 degrees by my observations. Even that'll do in your case to get it down to 68-69F.

Have you considered building a glycol jacket?

actually i use a swamp cooler, a rubbermade outdoor trashcan filled with water and frozen milk jugs. Like everyone else said, that's the way to go for cheap fast fermentation temp control

Swamp cooler is an interesting idea. I don't have any large rubbermaids lying around though. I live in an apartment building otherwise I'd just put it in a garage. I think at the moment I'm going to move the cooler across the apartment to be near the windows. Its a white plastic bucket so I think just covering it with a towel should be good enough.

Tell me more about the glycol jacket please!

Swamp cooler with a fan. I dropped my primary of Caribou Slobber from 72-66 degrees in a matter of a few hours. No ice needed. The fan blowing on the wicked towel around the primary did the trick. Once I reached the desired temp I just turned the fan off and the primary still wrapped and in the pan of water maintained my desired temp for the entire 2 plus weeks of fermentation.

Too late for this batch but get yourself one of these things. Better than a swamp cooler, less mess. Set and forget it easy though not cheap.
I have two and use them year round. In the cooler months you can keep beer warmer (not a problem in the south where I live) but it keeps the temps from varying much with a frozen bottle swap out twice a day......usually just once a day.
I've gone from kettle to primary at 74 and with 2 bottles got down to 68 in less than 12 hours.

That is exactly what is use. I live in Florida and keeping my fermenter at the proper temp is very hard. The Cool Brewing bag has worked miracles and is so easy to use. I didn't initially mention it as I knew money might be a factor but for anyone who is looking for a easy and clean cooling method, this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Wow I want one of these Cool Brewing bags. Next time! I'll order it in January when I start considering when/what to brew after this one's done.

So I actually covered the primary with a towel and moved the setup out on my balcony into 30 degree Wisconsin weather. After I went out to run errands for 2, almost 3 hours, it's sitting at a frosty 64 degrees. And I know it's going to be a few degrees more inside. And that's the perfect range I want (62-66 degrees for a good balance, from what I've read about the 3068's) So I'm going to leave it for a few hours while I try to rig up a swamp cooler.

Got SWMBO to bring over a Rubbermaid (not insulated though) big enough to hold the primary bucket. I figure I'll put water, some ice in it, wrap a towel around the primary and drop it in there. The only issue is that I won't be able to see the stick-on thermometer in all that, but as long as its keeping it cold enough the first few days and cool enough (below 70) after that, it shouldn't make a major issue I think.

Sounds like you got it all figured out. Get yourself a Cool Brewing bag and you will be all set to brew more. One more thing about the bag, if you ever have a blow out from a very active fermentation, the bag will contain the mess as it is totally water proof inside. I love mine and wouldn't brew without it. Enjoy your brew!

It's a pretty good setup. Put some water up to the outside 2 gal mark just below my fermometer (I slapped some packing tape over it to keep it from getting wet), wrapped an old tshirt and towel around it (wet of course) and 6 hours later, the fermometer continues to indicate a temperature around 64-66. I'll probably have to drop in some ice every morning and before I go to bed (filled up an old milk carton with water, and 16oz water bottles and froze it all to swap out) to keep it around there but overall it's a nice setup that I put together in a pinch with the help of everyone who posted here. Thanks!

Cool Brewing Bag though is what's next! Thanks a ton for that headsup too.

If you have a bathtub that isn't in use, put it in there with some cool water (at the temp you want the fermentation to be at). The mass of the water will also help minimize temperature fluctuations. Of course if you can't bathe for a week your friends may have an issue with the method!

Woke up this morning and the fermometer is still indicating a cool 66. Dropped a frozen carton of water in there to keep it that way for a while. Not bad.

Latest posts

Back