Fast fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britinusa

Reaction score
I pitched yeast in my ale on Sunday, my OG was 1.055 today my reading is 1.010, i was concerned because i didn't see any activity in the fermenter.
Can fermentation have happened without showing any signs? I have never seen this before.

What kind of fermenter, what kind of bung and airlock? If you use buckets, often the lids dont' seal air tight and CO2 can escape without going through the air lock.

Bucket fermenter, I have not seen any Krausen on top of the beer like I always do.

If you are using a bucket, as your fermentor, sometimes the CO2 can seep out of the lid. especially if there isn't a rubber gasket sealing the lid. I have had it look like the fermentation was very weak because of this but it was still going on. In your case fermentation is definitely happening otherwise the gravity would not drop. Your OG is also somewhat low so the fermentation isn't going to be very vigorous check your equipment and make sure everything is sealed nice and tight and give it another couple days then check the gravity again. if it is still at 1.010 the primary fermentation is done.
a little trick that can help is using star san in your air lock. The CO2 will leave behind foam bubbles as it pushes through even if it is very little.

I brewed a 1.056 Sunday afternoon. By Monday evening the krausen had completely dropped and gravity measured 1.014. Had I not seen the krausen Monday morning, I wouldve missed e action and been scratching my head wondering why my beer wasnt fermmenting...

Funny Sunday!

I too brewed on Sunday, (OG 1.063, IPA) Took a while to get going (US-05 dry pitched straight from packet), but on Monday evening it was bubbling nicely, with krausen, but then Tuesday morning the krausen had pretty much all fallen off. It's still bubbling every 3/4 seconds so it seems all is cool, but a bit weird that the krausen fell so quickly!

Thats where im at I think, im keeping an eye on my gravity readings

Back