Fast Fermentation Wyeast 1056 - 60 hours and quit bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrews100

Reaction score
So, I did my first all grain brew - an IPA! 15 pounds of 2-row and .5 # each of crystal, white wheat and carapils for 16.5# total. Mashed at 152 in a cooler. Boiling to pitching temp in apx. 15 minutes with a coil chiller. OG was 1.072.

Yeast: Wyeast 1056. Did a 1.9L starter with verified 1.04 gravity. 22 hours on a new stir plate. Put in the fridge overnight. Decanted and pitched at 6:00 pm at 68 deg.

Had a real good fermentation going the next morning & maintaining 68 deg. 3 inches krausen but none going through a blowoff tube on a 6.5 gal glass carboy with 5 gallons of wort. Very vigorous fermentation though - lots of action.

At 60 hours from pitching, there were no more bubbles. I had forgotten to plug in my temp controller(the night before - stc1000) and temp got down to 64 deg. for less than probably 6 hours, so I swirled carboy and got back to 68 deg with fermwrap. Still no bubbles. Did a few more swirls throughout the day and no bubbling.

Checked Gravity at 108 hours (4.5 days) from pitching cause I thought I might have had a stuck ferm. and sitting at 1.012. :rockin:

I thought this was a rather fast fermentation, with no bubbles after 60 hours.

So, I guess I'm wondering, do others find it common to have no bubbler activity after 60 hours from pitching and have reached their FG so quickly?

Bubbles are not an indication of fermentation activity so its good that you are checking gravity and using that information. 1056 and 001 can both be fast, 68 would be right in their comfort zone. Sound like that starter did its job, should be a good beer.

For a healthy yeast pitch, that's not necessarily a too-fast ferment. I'd still let it sit in the yeast for another week to let the beasties clean up after themselves.

Sounds about right for that strain. I usually finish fermentation that quick as well. I've rarely had that strain take more than a few days, even for higher gravity beers.

However, I second the advice to leave it for a few more days or even another week. My experience has been it'll hit close to the expected FG quickly, but if I bump up the temp a couple degrees and leave it there for a while it'll finish a point or two lower.

Back