Fast beer test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veedub

Reaction score
I've read certain brews are faster than others, generally speaking it sounds like wheats and lighter ales are fastest. The question is how do you find out if a new recipe is "fast". Can I keg a beer carb it and taste test it and if it's overly "green" tasting either A. Take it off the gas and leave it in the keezer. Or B. Take it off the gas and store it in the basement for a while?

I assume it's going to take much longer to mellow in the B scenario?

Experience does teach you about conditioning, that's for sure! But usually, there are a few tips that can help you decide when a beer is going to be "fast":

1. A low OG. A lower OG beer takes less time to ferment, less time to mellow, and needs less yeast.

2. Enough yeast. If you pitch enough yeast, especially using liquid yeast, the fermentation will be quicker and finish quicker, generally.

3. Not very complex. Lots of roasted malts take some time to mellow, and for the flavors to meld.

4. Beers that are cloudy anyway- wheats, notably.

So, if you want to make a beer that is ready in the keg in two weeks, an American wheat, hefeweizen, English mild, and a lower ABV pale ale would come to mind.

Back