Fast ales and Orville Redenbacher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotlgw

Reaction score
I made a very simple ale, based on one of the the Papazian book. Dry Malt Extract, Cascade Hop Pellets, Saf-ale English Ale Yeast. The literature led me to believe that something this simple would ferment out in about a week, condition for a week, and be great at day 14.

Starting with OG 1.043, I fermented at 70°F and bottled at day ten at a final gravity of 1.012. Seven days later I tried a bottle and it was like movie popcorn... very very buttery and diacetyl. Same after another week. Only after bottle conditioning for three weeks was it finally a beer.

Is this normal? Is it because my bottles condiion in a closet in a 78°F room? How long do you guys usually condition?

I don't know of any beer that's going to be really good to drink before at LEAST four weeks. I usually primary for between one and two weeks, secondary for a couple weeks, and when I was bottling wouldn't crack the first until three weeks had past. Even a simple recipe, or something meant to be drunk young like a hefeweizen, really needs at least four weeks total before it's going to be ready.

and fermenting at 70F is gonna produce some buttery flavors.

patience is probably the hardest thing to learn in this hobby. hell, I taste the unfermented, un-hopped wort out of my mash tun prior to the boil, just to see how its coming along!

(FYI, un-hopped wort is not anything like beer :)

I regularly make an ordinary bitter with safale 04 that goes from boil to keg in 8 days and doesn't taste buttery at all. Watch your fermentation temperatures.

62-65 if you can get there. The only stuff you want to ferment much higher than that is a Saison and maybe a hefeweisen, the hefe is generally good up to ~72 (IME) and I've heard of Saisons going all the way up into the 90s.

66-68 with occasional excursions to 70 but I try to keep it low as I can.

Back