Farts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSUCatBrewer

Reaction score
There is an unmistakable fart (sulphuric) smell coming from the airlock of my week old Saison fermenter. Pulled the stopper and the beer is very clear on top...no sign of infection. Am I worried?

There is an unmistakable fart (sulphuric) smell coming from the airlock of my week old Saison fermenter. Pulled the stopper and the beer is very clear on top...no sign of infection. Am I worried?

No worries....just a sign of what comes after you drink a few Saisons....beer farts :mug:

Nah, some strains (Hefeweizen and some lagers especially) throw off a sulfury/eggy smell but it goes away fasts. I bet it'll clear up and be fine.

Nah, some strains (Hefeweizen and some lagers especially) throw off a sulfury/eggy smell but it goes away fasts. I bet it'll clear up and be fine.
Thanks Jon. We're at the 2 week mark now...pulled the stopper and the smell is more subtle, but certainly still there. I've found that the best beers come when I leave in primary for 4 weeks...if the smell is still present at the 4 week mark, do I continue to wait to bottle? Thanks again for the feedback!

Latest posts

Back