Farrrrrrrts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcholfurbrains

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a problem with farts from their homebrew? I'm starting to wonder what I'm doing wrong. It doesn't matter weather it's a kit or extract or all grain. Anyone else get horrible farts?

No , My wife seems to think it started after I brewed a Hanks Hefeweizen that had a strong banana smell and flavor. Brewed 4 before that and never noticed.

I get the farts from regular/craft beer. My HB makes me fart too.

I also know when I taste my gravity sample, as I can wake myself up sometimes.

:D

Doesn't matter if I bottle it or keg it, kit,or an all grain recipe. Every time I brew the beer gets better and better and so do the farts.

Made a falconers flight IPA 10-3-15 and just kegged it 11-23-15 kept it at 64-67 till the last week then at 40 and just sampled a glass yesterday the beer turned out great but I skunk up the whole house.

I was thinking that maybe it's my yeast but it doesn't seem to matter if it is reused,a patty,dry,or fresh liquid.

In my experiences, the clearer the home brew, combined with the more you drink home brews in general, the less gas you wind up getting. It's the yeast in suspension that gets into the glass that does it in your intestines. That said, home brew is more of a " living drink" than, say, BMC's or the like. Those get filtered & carbonated under pressure. Ours being non'filtered & merely settled out well, are another matter. Your body will adjust as your process gets better. In my experience, anyway...:mug:

As unionrdr pointed out, it's the yeast. Homebrew and most craft beer still has living yeast in it. The big boys filter it out. The consequence is that some of that yeast survives your stomach, into your intestines, where they scavenge any residual sugars/carbohydrates they can find, and ferment it, producing CO2.

Want to have fun? Eat a big bowl of popcorn, then drink 5-6 homebrews and go to bed. Your stomach will be in knots all night.

When I first started brewing I put spigots on all my buckets and racked it with a clear hose trying yo get all I could get but now I use a cane and leave a lot behind but it doesn't seem to change things much.

Yeah, it's whatever amount of yeast remains in suspension that does the deed... or should I say dead? :rolleyes: Your system has to get used to it.

When I first started drinking bottle-conditioned craft brew and later bottle conditioned homebrew, heck yes I had the fartsies. I think now my gut has gotten accustomed to the yeast or whatever it is, and there's no problem any more.

So, practice, practice, practice.

Slightly off topic - but once after a meal of spaghetti and red wine, I had bad heartburn. I thought dissolving baking soda in water and downing it would be a good idea to settle my stomach. Immediate memories of a baking soda/vinegar rocket came to mind - My torso expanded like a 55 gal drum, and I thought I'd explode like the dude in the Monty Python movie. Horrifying and painful. I prayed to fart, burp or puke - anything to relieve the pressure. When relief came, it shook the house and I nearly passed out. A life altering experience.

Like an oil well, you need a blowoff tube and a way to flare the methane. This time of year the gas could be an ass-et if you could capture and burn it for heating fuel ;-) A friend of mine used to run his car on wood gas he manufactured at home..... Running your car on "ass-gas" would be kind of cool ;-) Might take awhile to accumulate enough though.

H.W.

I remember one time when I felt like that...real bad bloating & sense of being overly full of something. Went to the head, passed gass for what seemed like at least a minute straight. That was it. At the end of it all, I felt too weak to get up!...

Has any of you tried filtering and if so what's a good system for the money?

If you have a kegging system, this one works amazingly well.

http://www.thevintageshop.ca/products/wine-beer-plate-filter.html

If I am in a hurry to bring a keg of beer to an event I will just make one pass through this filter with the coarse pads. Its pretty incredible how much it clears up a beer. This beer got the filter treatment, it was a 4 week old Classic American Pilsner:

IMG_20150324_224759_688.jpg

When I first got into homebrewing it took my body about 6-9 months to adjust to the yeast and then it was smooth sailing...same thing happened after I took a year long hiatus, though it was quicker getting back to normal the second time.

A carb/sugar heavy diet doesn't help.
Add sugar and yeast to a 98.6 degree environment...
Since swapping to homebrew I'm as regular as an old lady in a prune factory.

I save and reuse my yeast in quart mason jars and when I pitch my yeast it's usually about 3/4 of a quart mason jar I pitch. Think that's to much yeast and making for farts?

Are you routinely consuming large portions of yeast? Like, bottle conditioned and drinking the whole thing? If so, it'll happen.

Not if you routinely do it, but there is an initial adaptation period.

Consuming yeast is actually incredibly healthy for your gut and intestines. Helps to keep the proper flora and fauna in balance.

Fortunately the window crank is within reach by the head of the bed, otherwise
swmbo and I might die of asphyxiation some nights.

Glad I found this! I'm 15 gallons into my home brewing adventure and the wife was worried something inside me was dying.

If suspended yeast was the culprit would cold crashing theoretically help the problem?

A little. But if you're bottling, it'll still be there after carbonating your beer, albeit settled out in the fridge, for the most part.

I'm careful when pouring from bottles, so I minimize the yeast that ends up in the glass. But there's still some yeast and if I drink more than a couple, I'll get the yeasty farts. Can't be avoided...the price I pay for homebrewing. ;)

As unionrdr pointed out, it's the yeast. Homebrew and most craft beer still has living yeast in it. The big boys filter it out. The consequence is that some of that yeast survives your stomach, into your intestines, where they scavenge any residual sugars/carbohydrates they can find, and ferment it, producing CO2.

Want to have fun? Eat a big bowl of popcorn, then drink 5-6 homebrews and go to bed. Your stomach will be in knots all night.

I just get popcorn farts...dry and high frequency (as in sound), but haven't tried it with a lot of HB yet.

Cold crash, fine with gelatin to drop as much out as possible.

If bottling you can mix some US04 in for conditioning, that stuff flocs down like peanut butter and makes it much easier to get a clean pour.

Back